Splitting the Floorboards

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Splitting the Floorboards

Post by kenryan »

I'm wondering if you other builders have split your baggage floor boards at the elevator rod cover, so that you can remove them without removing the elevator push rod?
Super Stol Kit #299
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Splitting the Floorboards

Post by Familyflyer »

Yes, you will need to do this.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I did, I added a tab riveted the length of the split, then added tinnerman nuts riveted to that (this is attached to the "wide" piece) and then added more tinnerman nuts to screw the tunnel to the same piece. Then the narrow piece is sandwiched between the tab and tunnel and secured with sheet metal screws into the tinnerman nuts. You remove the tunnel, and the screws around the perimeter of the floor, and the floor comes out in four total pieces (plus tunnel).

I have a fuel pump mounted under an aluminum cover at the front right corner of the baggage area, so I am going to run any wires, etc. down the left side so I won't have to remove the whole floor to inspect/access them. There shouldn't be any reason for me to remove the right side floor panels once everything is together.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Thanks guys. I will split them to make them easily removable.
Super Stol Kit #299
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

IMG_0422 - Copy.JPG
It's been a few years since I done mine but this is pretty much the sequence. On top of the floor I put 1.5 inch styrofoam on either side of the tunnel to bring it flush with the top of the tunnel. On top of that I placed a sheet of 3/32 birch and on top of that the rug. Where my fuel lines came from the header tank I cut a channel for them to run through the styrofoam. The birch is flexible enough that you don't have to split it to install it or remove it and it makes a nice solid floor on top of the styrofoam.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”