Finger screen fitting/rib clearance

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Finger screen fitting/rib clearance

Post by Tralika »

I'm installing my fuel tanks and have modified the #1 ribs for the fuel outlet fitting. However there will not be enough room to remove the finger screen fitting from the tank after installation. If I remove any more wood from the rib web I'm afraid I'll compromise the it's strength. I don't know that I'll ever need to remove those finger strainers but I like to be able to just in case. Anyone else take out enough wood from the rib to remove the strainer fittings?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Gil T
Veteran Member

Re: Finger screen fitting/rib clearance

Post by Gil T »

John

I don't know if this will help any but you can see what I had to do when I took my small tanks out and installed the 26 gallon ones. The original fuel strainer was quite a bit smaller than the one that came with the larger tanks and the fitting was in a different place because of its size. You can see that a notch had to be cut in the outside rib to accommodate it. I have never taken any wing tank strainers out for any reason. I suppose if you thought you had some badly contaminated fuel you would do it. However the screens are course enough I would think that unless you had a family of mice living in there gas could get through. You still have your downstream filters to take care of things. And yes I could take the strainers out if needed. The main thing I had to do was cut the back of the butt rib so my fuel lines could go through. As you can see I epoxyed a dowel to the butt rib to add some rigidity. You may not have that problem with a original installation. I think if I painted it white it might look an actual well engineered install but heck this is part of the experimental thing.

Good luck.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

With the tanks mounted there and the wing fittings just inside of that rib, it really just gives shape more than strength at that location.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I make the cutout in the #1 rib big enough to put the strainer in with a socket. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave the rib web the way it is now. If I ever need to remove the finger screen I'll enlarge the access so I can get a socket on it. It would be easy to do with the dremel tool.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”