Wing Ribs

wino59
Forum Regular

Wing Ribs

Post by wino59 »

Okay...Still waiting on the wood, but this is what I have got done so far...I want to confirm some measurements, at the front and rear spar, once I the capstrips are in place..I can make adjustments in the blocks if needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: Wing Ribs

Post by planecrazzzy »

Your choice of Rib Jig forces you to make another Rib Jig for the Root Ribs

I hope you copied the Rib Print several times...

When making copies... Check "Scale" by measuring one inch in the SPAR space...

My jig allows wax paper... and pins can be moved and modified...

in cases that the glue may go wild.... The pin can be tapped with a hammer to

break the bond of the epoxy... As you can see... my root ribs are jigged with

minor modifications to the main Rib Jig.
Gotta Fly...
PS Diagonal cap strip need "NO" support guides... Think about it...
each end goes into a corner...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Thanks Mike,

I see some spots I am going to have to adjust. I noticed you didn't have the corner to corner braces, so I stopped adding them half way through. I think once I get the capstrips, I will be able to make adjustments in the blocks before I start gluing....I noticed I have some blocks real close to glue joints, so I am going to change them, and make adjustments so I can bend the capstrip down for the root rib. I will have to pull some blocks anyhow at this phase, because I am going to widen the openings for the spars by 3/16 of an inch to allow for the 1/16 inch ply at the roots, plus a 1/16th for the glue in between....Does that sound about right?

Unfortunately, I didn't make copies, but the blocks come out real easy, and the whole thing is covered in polypropylene. I thought about using Carnuba wax on the wood jig blocks in case any glue got to them it would not stick.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

Good "Heads up" on the space to clear the plywood at the end of the Spars...

I wouldn't give it more room for epoxy... I'd go for a good fit...

The epoxy will find it's way.... it wicks into the wood...

Rib Jig-
If you give yourself more room in the glue areas.... You'll be able to slip wax paper in.

I didn't see you had the plastic on the jig... and I was looking for it...That helps.

To keep your building log from being cluttered, Feel free to delete this...

We should have this conversation at the Buttercup/STOL site...
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" in MN
                Gotta Fly...
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

I got started last Sunday...The wood finally arrived. I got 4 ribs built this week, Not bad....I am going to try and build one a day. One I have complete with gussets, the others are just stick built so far.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

More progress, 8 ribs completed.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Not sure what I am going to do yet about the root rib. It looks like there is no capstrip on top of the front spar. Not sure if it really matters, as long as I conform the windshield bow to the size of the root rib when I fabricate the fuselage. Attached are two pics one of the plans that shows this and Earl's Construction pic. I am also a little confused on how the leading edge is done between R1 and R2... It looks like spruce is glued to the side of rib 2, and the front of the root rib, then covered with ply, and pine strip to conform to airfoil...I probably will do that last anyhow, once the wings are fitted with the spar attach fittings, and everything is drilled and in place.... Comments are welcome here.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

You'll be amazed when you slide the ribs on the spars... Instant wing !!!
The cap strip material I bought for the spars was a clear pine from Menards...

It fits between the Ribs... and the end of the spar sez it needs a tapered piece...

But notice Earl's... He put a chunk on half of it and sanded it down from there.
Gotta Fly...

PS Nice Ribs !
                Gotta Fly...
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Mike,

I should have been more clear on my post, but I was talking about the actual root rib itself....I looks like on Earls photos that the top capstrip (the part of the actual rib) of the root rib is flush with spar and doesn't go over the top of the spar like yours does. Almost like it is an l_l shape at the front opening of the root rib only, instead of completely enclosing the spar??? Seems the way you did it, would be stronger, and I will probably end up doing it the same way.

Thanks for your help!

Chadd
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

I see what your saying...
I never noticed his before... ( That I can remember )
I don't see a problem with notching a small piece out of the spar...
Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

A side note on the root rib question. Earl said that is correct, The capstrip does not go over the front spar. However there are many different ways to do it. I will probably some variation of Earls and Mike's when I get to that stage, but I am a little ways off from that.

Been busy cutting gussets, making ribs, and soaking capstrips. Mike said not needed, but I tried 2 of mine and they snapped, so going with the old method of soaking, and let drying in a jig. The jig was simply an old landscape post I had laying around, nothing fancy needed for 4 ribs.

Earl also noted that some people are wrapping the ply the whole way around including the bottom to keep the rib from pulling in when covering.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

The full size ribs have come out pretty good. I started cutting the ply for the full size ribs. These took me a good bit longer to make the full size ribs, I must have made about 20 nose blocks, because I didn't like the fit, or I sanded to much off, and at that point you just have to toss it and make a new one. So at this point I have all the ribs done, except the root ribs. I will start changing the jig around to make the root rib, and start gluing the gussets.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Wow this took a lot longer than I thought... Got all gussets glued and stapled in place, now I get to remove the staples....oh joy :)
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Glued the full size ply to the full size ribs. Also I laminated the inside of the ribs as you can see from the pics. I used System 3 Clear coat.

I glued one side of the ply on, then laminated the inside once dry, and also laminated the backside of the ply that I will put over top. I left a lot of room on for the glue, you can't tell from the pics, but there is at least 1/2 inch for the glue to be put on. When I glued it, I completely covered the exposed area with glue to ensure a good glue joint and total lamination.

I really like the Clear Coat... Really thin, covers well, but is a little expensive. I bought a small size, to experiment with the ribs, and probably will use it to cover the entire wing.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

I thought I had a picture of the ribs after I trimmed them with the router....This is the only one I found.

Return to “Chadd's Buttercup Project”