Fuselage Stabilizing Device

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Fuselage Stabilizing Device

Post by Tralika »

I'm installing my fuel tanks which involves mounting the wings. I've already installed the landing gear but didn't want to have the fuselage on the gear when I mounted the wings the first time. Having the fuselage on the floor keeps the wings lower and makes it easier to work on the tanks so I removed the landing gear. I'm building in my garage and there is only room for one wing on the fuselage at a time. Just recommends weighting down the airframe to keep it stable. I came up the a cleat made from a seven foot 2x6 and some other scrap wood. I cut the wood to fit the center landing gear attach point. The side that is opposite of the wing is drilled and attached with a bolt. I wasn't sure how much pressure would be pulling on the attach point so I reinforced the wood with some .040 aluminum over the bolt. Everything is glued and secured with 3" screws. It has worked well, very stable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Fuselage Stabilizing Device

Post by danerazz »

I made a low dolly the same way, wood ripped to fit the landing gear mount and four small casters. I then made another with blocks of 2x4s and casters for the tail. This keeps it nice and low for easy access and I can push it around in any direction. My shop is very small, so I need to move it around a lot to get to each side.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Bay State Flatlander
Forum Regular

Post by Bay State Flatlander »

Tralika thanks for posting pictures of your stabilizer. Seeing the in process, how did you get it done type pictures is extremely helpful.

I'm building in a half basement so pictures of any space saving/ make life easier rigs are greatly appreciated.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Nice set up. If the bottom piece extended out on both sides it could be used to stabilize my finished Highlander when I work on the suspension.

I built an RV with a partner a few years ago. It was my first airplane, his fourth. He built the wings for a Glastar in his dining room and living room. It was not only a space saving technique, it saved a lot of trips to the hangar. Did I mention that he was not married?
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I built highlander wings in my living room with my wifes approval of course. (A trade for new floors when I finished). Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.

Return to “Just Aircraft”