Alaska trip question for R Rinker

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Alaska trip question for R Rinker

Post by ScottieB »

Hey Rodger,
I spoke to you while you were at the Just Aircraft factory about a trip to Alaska that a couple of us are planning. I wonder if you can tell us, if we travel through your part of Canada on our way, what will be the mileage between fuel stops on the longest leg of the trip? The second part of the question is; on that same leg of the trip, if we carried fuel in the cargo bay are there at least a few places where we could land to pour that fuel into the main tanks? Thanks, Scott.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Re: Alaska trip question for R Rinker

Post by R Rinker »

Hi Scott, good to hear from you..From Ft. St. John to Ft. Nelson direct is about 200 statute miles, from Ft. St. John to Watson Lake direct is 240, and from Watson Lake to Whitehorse is 220. The prevailing winds are right on your nose going up and that can add to it significantly. Between Ft. St. John & Watson Lake is the longest leg and if you can't handle that you could follow the highway and stop at Toad River, but you need a good day for that because it's right in the mountains. If you go direct between Ft. St. John & Watson you can stay on the river and you can fly on days you would never fly following the highway. I never follow the highway..the only way you would do that is if your prepared to sit out a lot of weather and get beat up on the good days. You'll need the VFR sectional charts..they have a strip chart that takes you all the way through from Ft. St. John to Northway, Alaska (I think..can't find mine right now), and you'll need the Canadian Flight Supplement which has all the airports and frequencies, RCO's, etc. What is your endurance on your tanks? We used to land on the highway and gas up at the gas stations. Going direct from the airports I listed you will cross the highway or come close off & on. I don't think I'd recommend that if your not real familiar with the places you'd be going into. It would be easier though to land where they have pull offs like rest stops and top off with your own fuel. I'd only do that when you get past Ft. Nelson, because between Ft. St. John & Ft. Nelson there is heavy oil field traffic now, lots of it. There are some airstrips you can land at and use your own fuel, but I won't get into that until I find out your endurance. Hope to see you when you come....Rodger
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

In my Highlander I chose the standard tanks (18 gallons total) so I consider my range to be 3 hours (at 5 gallons per hour) with reserve. I've never actually pushed it to 3 hours simply because I am a very conservative pilot and I've never really NEEDED to push it that far. I usually like to refuel after about 2-1/2 hours just in case and my bladder always thanks me for it. If I set my prop for a good cruise speed I can cruise comfortably at 100 mph, so with no wind I could cover 250 miles (300 if I push the envelope). With a 20 mph headwind I'd cruise at 80 and cover 200 - 240 miles. Gary found some real nice collapsible fuel tanks that will carry at least 5 gallons each and I think they're gonna be the "cat's meow". Considering all this, I think that if we have at least one place to stop and transfer fuel then we'll be fine.
I do hope to come by your place along the way. It'll be nice to visit with you again.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Then you'll have to go into Toad River and between Watson & Whitehorse plan on Teslin. You'll need a good day to get into Toad River...
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Be sure and plan on stopping here at Rocky Mountain House, CYRM. We will put you up and if you have to set out any weather stay as long as needed....
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

I hope we can get started before the weather turns bad, but I'm sure it won't be before the end of July. I keep teasing Gary and telling him "build faster!" Even after the build is done he'll have to fly his 40 hours off.
I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your information. Scott.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Actually this is our bad weather season right now. It only gets better into August and September is great!

Return to “Just Aircraft”