Open Source Build Supplement?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Open Source Build Supplement?

Post by R Rinker »

Just thinking out loud..You can shoot it down..But, would an open source type build supplement (for the Super Stol) be something very many would be interested in? The way it would work initially, would be for individuals to write a chapter on some aspect of the build that they had to study and research because sometimes there is head scratching as to how to do something, or just what is that picture showing. So for "just one step" of the build you could provide the kind of detail and pictures that would save some of us a lot of time. I'm an American A&P, but I find that to understand a proprietary design fabrication, hints you will learn and wish you knew before, along with some of the important details of what to avoid can take a little hand holding here. The build manual is the basis, but this would be supplemental, and, very important--all in one place! (Even just a lot more construction pictures of details..) If I could get the chapters in HTML and jpegs I can publish it on our server space which is Network Solutions, for now (with no adds). Some chapters might just be a compilation of the best links to covering or painting or whatever. Someone could volunteer to do .doc to .html conversions and clean them up as I don't have time. It only takes one click to convert, but a little work to clean it up since the software isn't perfect. We would want someone at the factory to look at it as it goes to make sure nothing is published that would not be recommended or compromise the aircraft. There are already a number of good pages and Adobe Acrobat files written by some of you that could be used. The purpose here is not to make major changes to the airplane..just to speed up the build and clarify some of the options...So, would there be enough input from you guys to get this going?
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Open Source Build Supplement?

Post by Familyflyer »

We paid a lot of money for the SuperStol kit. Much more than any two seat RV. Those drawings and instructions are outstanding compared to the Superstol. I feel this is the responsibility of the factory as there should definitely be funds to do so at the price of the kit. I bet they are already getting more questions than they can handle with the way the kit has taken off. A complete detailed manual would fix that and speed up the build.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I do not have a kit yet but I hope to remedy that this year. However, I have been following the Highlander very closely for a while now. It has always been my intention to try to document my build as closely as possible in the hopes of helping to start a consolidated reference for other builders that may follow. I'm guessing that many of past builders had similar dreams when they first started their build but as I look over every build web site that I have found the enthusiasm is quickly over run with the effort of completing the build. Troy, “familyflyer” is a great example. I had high hopes for his blog because he started out with great passion for his blog but his entries into his blog slowed up and have all but stopped as his build continued. Great thing is that he has posted some very awesome information and photos on this forum as a replacement.

My point is that I think everyone, or at least many, plan on documenting every step of their build and the time just isn't there to keep the documentation up. I have no doubt that there are thousands of construction details and photos out there but they just don't make it to the web site or blog. Who knows if I will do any better when my time comes? Consolidating all of the thoughts and work of everyone on this forum would be awesome but also daunting task. That is assuming that you can get many to take time out of their busy days to dig up those photos, notes, and comments and send them to you. I also have thought it would be great to catalogue all of the information from this forum but the task seems enormous. That should not make it impossible just demanding of someone with incredible dedication. If Just Aircraft would be willing to invest in something like this I would jump to the occasion.

Scubarider2 seems to be able to dig up some very relevant history related to questions or threads that are created on this forum. We can’t ignore the great job that he does with this form and I am assuming that all of his time devoted to the forum is done out of his passion for the Highlander and possibly now the Supper STOL. I know he has located older threads for me on occasion. I have yet to go through a small percentage of the vast number of older posts and threads that are on this forum. There is a ton of knowledge here as well as a ton of fun reading! I follow a number of other forums and none have the traffic or attendance that this forum has. The Highlander family has a great following and I have enjoyed every minute. Joe B :D
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks for the compliment... :mrgreen:
This forum was such a wonderful help to me when I was building years ago. I wanted to give back so volunteered to be the moderator. It does take time each and everyday but I do love it and the folks are A+++. :wink:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

You are very right Joe, the passion and excitement of the build gets revved up and the desire to sit at the computer instead of making airplane progress is difficult to say the least. Daily I feel my lack of posts on my website. I really had a grand plan, but a business to run, a wife and three small kids, far out weigh the website. I do have updates to post to it, I am in the middle of changing internet providers, as my current one has over sold their bandwidth, and I can barely check my email, let alone upload pictures to the website. I will get more updates on there, I promise, but it will have to work in between T-ball games, work, wife, and actual airplane building.
I do appreciate all the people that visit my site, as it makes the time I do spend on it worth while.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I feel bad about the blog now. :D It got stopped as I started on here. It was actually my wife doing the blog and she was doing a fantastic job. She said I was building to fast and couldn't keep up, lol. So I switched over to here as I figured more people would find it. Once that happened we just posted on the blog to come here. Unfortunately there is not much build information on the net for the superstol or highlander. Building has slowed for me now, doing lots of flying instead! It's close to the end though.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Troy, who would have thought that building to fast would be a problem. Actually you do seem to be moving along quite quickly. I know a couple of Highlander builders that have comleted their Highlander in under a year but then both were retired. Your blog was proving to be one of the better build posts on line. At least you made some wonderfully detailed posts on the forum and the video of the wing details before you covered the last wing was very well done and very informative. Unfortunately there are so many details that have not been covered anywhere on line that could be so very helpful to those following. Perhaps I will be able to fill in some of those gaps when I get started. i am traveling to the Just factory on Tuesday. I really need to test fly the Super STOL. I can't make up my mind which way I want to go. Both aircraft offer some compelling arguments as a flight platform. The issues with the flight surface alignment is a detail that I would like to see get addressed so that the Super STOL can be all that it should be! Looking forward to seeing your bird get into the air. Joe B
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

Hey Roger, I am thinking you have a good idea -- a perfectly good idea on the open source build manual topic.
I know I met you at the factory and saw you carting off your SS to the north of the USA.
How is your build going?
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Ed, I've been up in the Arctic (wishing the airplane was finished & I was using it instead of a Skidoo)...& now I'm using our short summer to build a hanger & clearing an airstrip. Looks like the serious building will wait till fall. When I got back I tackled the job of organizing my (very small) shop, which was a national disaster area...& still ordering tools & setting up everything. One thing I can say..after many years of working on certified aircraft it's a different dimension doing the homebuild. I want to know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it before I do it, and with the homebuild it takes a lot of page turning & staring before you can actually accomplish anything. I have to make doors that seal up also for our climate, but that should be easy enough once I get going...
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada

Return to “Just Aircraft”