Control stick to pivot

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Bay State Flatlander
Forum Regular

Control stick to pivot

Post by Bay State Flatlander »

Wanted to get peoples thoughts on the following products:

CRC SP400
ACF 50
Corrosion X

Now that I've removed the powder coating on the control stick pivots (F-1261.0) so the aluminum control sticks (F-1380) will slide on; I'm thinking Dissimilar metals and corrosion prevention.

Seems any one of these penetrating rust inhibitors would work. Trying to get past the sales hype and replace with facts.

Lithium grease and Cosmoline is also on my list for consideration but I'm thinking both would kind of wipe off when trying to reassemble.

What, if anything, have others used?

Thanks
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Control stick to pivot

Post by danerazz »

Just my opinion, but you may be over thinking the corrosion issue there.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Control stick to pivot

Post by Tralika »

I've given some thought about the corrosion issue as well. I'm not so concerned about something like the control sticks since it is protected from the weather and accessible by removing one bolt. I'm more concerned about areas that are not accessible to inspection or diss-assembly, like stainless steel rivets going through aluminum into steel. Most of the rivets used in the Highlander are assembled with the hysol adhesive which helps seal and protect those parts from moisture. The parts that are not sealed with hysol, like the trim tab hinge, should have some kind of anti-corrosion treatment when assembled. I'm going to use Hylomar Aerograde based on the recommendation of a mechanic friend. FAA 8083 chapter 6 addresses corrosion control. It doesn't give specific recommendations for joining compounds during assembly but has lots of information about dissimilar metals.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”