Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by Allan »

Steve,

It's great to hear and see how you went at Valdez. Susan and I are currently out in the bush in the Pilbara working so the internet is rare.
You mentioned additional clean up on your superstol -what were those?
My kit is on a boat somewhere and I anticipate it will be landed in Aussie mid July.

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

All I have done so far is the gear legs, shocks and between the flaps and turtle deck. If I ever get around to it I'd like to make covers for the ends of the struts and gear legs, aero the jury struts etc.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Thanks Steve - thought you might have done some more. It's pretty clean your clean ups haven't had much effect on your Valdez performance!
Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

My Highlander is complete and I have been flying it for about a week now. I am very impressed with it and the way it flies and performs. It weighs 700 pounds on 21 inch tires with everything including doors windows seatbelts oil antifreeze, everything but gas. 734 pounds on 29 inch tires. It has one of the big bore 110hp Rotax motors in it for now and I am really liking it a lot. (I still plan on trying the Yamaha but I am still waiting for a PSRU.) My Superstol will definitely beat my Highlander in a stol competition, but my Highlander will fly 10 miles an hour faster with less horsepower, and it has a lighter, zippier feel to it that I really enjoy when flying it. I still think they are both great airplanes, they are just different, and rightly so.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Wes wrote:Steve , Thanks for putting in the time on the Great writeup! I'm hanging on every word!
I plan to fly my little yellow Highlander to Alaska next year, so I'm glad you "Blazed the Trail" ;-)

And I will add my congratulations on the performance at Valdez, you certainly deserve a lot of extra credit for "running what you brung" all the way from the 'lower 48'! Nice job!

I'll be trailering my Highlander to Kalispell, MT area in June (this year) to volunteer with the RAF wildlife research project. Should be hanging out around there til' mid July, so maybe if you are in the area, we could tag up. I would love to hear some of the tales that got left out of the write-up ;-)

Wes
Hey Wes, How did the RAF Wildlife research go, or did I miss a write up elsewhere?
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Saw some spectacular YouTube video a while ago and just finished your impressive pictorial page in EAAs Sport Aviation, Steve.

Congrats for a mega effort and success and also, what degrees, material, and tape did you use to enhance your flap/aileron lift please? Maybe catch up to you at Arlington Experimental Fly-In....
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

taildrgfun wrote:My Highlander is complete and I have been flying it for about a week now. I am very impressed with it and the way it flies and performs. It weighs 700 pounds on 21 inch tires with everything including doors windows seatbelts oil antifreeze, everything but gas. 734 pounds on 29 inch tires. It has one of the big bore 110hp Rotax motors in it for now and I am really liking it a lot. (I still plan on trying the Yamaha but I am still waiting for a PSRU.) My Superstol will definitely beat my Highlander in a stol competition, but my Highlander will fly 10 miles an hour faster with less horsepower, and it has a lighter, zippier feel to it that I really enjoy when flying it. I still think they are both great airplanes, they are just different, and rightly so.

Are you coming to Airventure this year again, Steve?
Av8r3400
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Steve, Congratulations on winning an Arlington Fly-In Champion Award!

http://www.arlingtonflyin.org/wp-conten ... inners.pdf

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Congratulations, Steve. Can we see pictures of this magical bird? Any chance of a photo tour?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Yeah Steve let's see some picks
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I don't mean to be ignoring anyone here, but I haven't even been on this site for a week or so. I so rarely post a pic on here that I never remember how to do it. Now I have just a few more days to get ready to fly my STOL to Oshkosh. I would rather make that long flight in my Highlander but I would rather have my SuperSTOL for the STOL competition when I get there. My SS flies really well too though, so it won't be too much of a hardship. :wink:

We built the new HLDR to fly and not to win some beauty pagent but I signed it up for judging anyhow. I still haven't seen the results but I guess we won something. It is a good looking and great flying airplane!
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

Did anything happen regarding Whirlwind asking you a longer prop for the SS. You had mentioned them in your prop summary before Valdez. I presume your catto hasn't come yet?

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I do have the 75" WW on my HLDR now and it is pretty decent all around. Catto called yesterday and they are close to getting me a prop but it won't make it here in time for me to try it before Osh. Today I got a call from Prince Props and they are the same, close but not in time for Oshkosh.

I plan to run my Kiev or Whirlwind for the flight to Osh and Troy said he would have a Catto for me to use for the competition.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,
Great to hear and good luck. I really like that you can use the SS like you do as it does illustrate it's overall utility.
Allan
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

taildrgfun wrote:I do have the 75" WW on my HLDR now and it is pretty decent all around. Catto called yesterday and they are close to getting me a prop but it won't make it here in time for me to try it before Osh. Today I got a call from Prince Props and they are the same, close but not in time for Oshkosh.

I plan to run my Kiev or Whirlwind for the flight to Osh and Troy said he would have a Catto for me to use for the competition.

Hi Steve,
Just curious about why it is taking so long to get your prop. I wonder if it is due to being for turbo engine. I believe that I remember them telling me when I ordered mine that the prop for the turbo engine is different so maybe they are not setup for producing them yet. I ordered a 82x38 in early May for a big bore engine thinking it would take several months to get it and received it around July 1st. All that being said I wonder how Troy's prop is going to work for you if it is for big bore motor. Just curious.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved

Return to “Just Aircraft”