Got Gas?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Got Gas?

Post by ftcaruso »

I recently came across 15 gallons of 93 oct. Mo-Gas which I purchased last Sept. from a SC airport (so I know that it is 100% pure gas). The dilemma is do I dare to use this 10 month old fuel in my Highlander. I generally mix my Av and Mo gas 50-50, but in this case I would probably put 25% Mo gas and 75% Av gas to compensate for any potential loss of octane due to the age of the old automotive fuel. Since both of my cars are diesel putting the gas in them is not an option. My potential saving, if mixing the fuels will work, is approximately $2 per gallon or only $60 based on the current difference in the two fuel costs. My other option is to try to find someone to purchase the ethanol free gasoline for their car. What would you do? :?:

Frank Caruso
Highlander Ser. # 109
600 tach hrs on Jabiru 3300 engine
jak
Veteran Member

Re: Got Gas?

Post by jak »

Pour it on some ant beds its not fit to use any other way. Just my 2 cents worth. Jak P.S. maybe a lawn mower you don't care very much about.
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

Hey Jack- Thanks for the input. However, when you live in a condo we have "people" who take care of the lawn.. thus no mower :D
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

15 gallons is causing a dilemma? I'm pretty tight with money but I wouldn't take a chance on old gas in an airplane to try to save $60.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

You think that you're tight with a dollar? Let me tell you about how tight I AM!

When I got married in 1964 and lived in North Jersey, I decided that it was time to upgrade my two seat 1946 Ercoupe to something more cross country friendly. My FBO was selling their gently used 1963 Cessna Skyhawk 172D (under 100 hrs. TT, and used for short charters to the Jersey shore, flight instruction and sales demos). I was able to give him $10K and my 415C for this $13,999 (manufacturer’s list price) almost new airplane. At that time I was working for the Aerospace Division of Bendix Corp and was only making $10K a year and my wife was earning $6,500 with her job with the State of NJ, so discretionary money was in short supply.

I decided that I could save almost $40 a week by bringing my own bagged lunch to work (instead of going out to the nearby pub each day with my associates) and by dropping out of the company’s bowling league and the investment club. I quickly got the reputation for being “cheap” (I would refer it as “being frugal”). However every other weekend, when my job team members would be spending their Saturday’s mowing their lawns, cleaning out their garages or painting and puttering around their houses, my wife and I would use that $80 in savings and climb into our Skyhawk to head up to the Sky Lodge in Jackman, Maine, or down to Kitty Hawk, NC, or even over to Mackinack Island in upper Michigan. (Avgas was only about 45 cents per gallon back then). Thus, we elected to use our "found money" for things that we enjoyed rather than what we were expected to spend it on.

Today, over a half century later I am still just as frugal when it comes to my flying expenditures. Since I fly my Highlander between 150-200 hours a year, 15 gallons of fuel will buy me another 300 mile trip. So it was important to determine if my pure (no ethanol) automotive gasoline would still be useable after 10 months in storage. Several web sites that I found indicated that 100% gasoline, if stored in an airtight container would last between 1 and 2 years with no appreciable degradation. As a result I have begun using my old gas by adding a gallon or two of 93 oct. Mo gas to every 10 gal of Av gas in my tanks. After 10 flying hours, with this mix, I have seen absolutely no difference in any of my engine readings while in flight. Other than a very subtle color change of the fuel in my pre-flight drain container, you would never know that I was burning up my old automotive gas. Ant hill's loss...my gain. :D
Rampil

Post by Rampil »

Hi Frank,

You did not say what engine you were feeding. If it is a high compression engine like a 912 ULS, it needs a high octane fuel or you might spark
some detonation and cause engine damage. The ethanol is not a real issue here, but Premium MoGas ( > 91 Oct as required) is mixed with all
kinds of highly volatile additives which will gas (no pun intended) out of solution in just a few weeks at comfortable temperatures.

Mixing MoGas with 100LL might help, but many industry people and Rotax experts say two months at 70F is about it for straight Premium MoGas shelf life.

Cheers,

Ira, N224XS @ GA2
FAA Designated AME
<recently converted from lurking>
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

Thanks for the info and concern, Ira. Actually my engine is a Jabitec. It is the conventional Jabiru 3300 (6 cyls.. with an 8:1 compression ratio) using the Rotec (not Rotex) liquid cooled head modification which was added at 200 hours due to consistently high CHT readings. This mod shaved over 100 degrees off of the head temps, and 25 degrees off of the oil temp. The engine is approved for operation with 91 Oct. MoGas. and when I was out in Custer, SD for 4 months in 2010 I ran it on this blend of ethanol free gasoline exclusively for quite a few hours. However what I purchased directly from the pump at a nearby South Carolina airport was 93 Oct. and since I am mixing it in small quantities with the 100LL AvGas, I believe that it will find me in good stead. I am currently down to my last couple of gallons of the old MoGas. If I do have any problems, I will post them here and everyone can say "See, we told him so." :wink:
Rampil

Post by Rampil »

Hi Frank,

My only concern is that you stay safe!
Although my wife would disagree, I like to pinch pennies as much as most ;)

Ira

Return to “Just Aircraft”