Bondo on front strut attach bracket

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Bondo on front strut attach bracket

Post by Tralika »

I'm ready to start applying bondo to smooth the transitions on my wing. The manual shows the front of the wing strut attach bracket to covered with bondo. It looks like this will take a lot of bondo. If anyone has just covered their attach brackets with fabric or has some other technique for this I'd be interested in seeing the result.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
rmullins
Veteran Member

Re: Bondo on front strut attach bracket

Post by rmullins »

I know what you mean. I hated to put on weight to just "make it look pretty". I compromised and didn't completely blend it in and would be tempted to completely eliminate it next time.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I used "Super Fill" instead of Bondo. Super Fill is a 2 part epoxy, much lighter than Bondo. The only down side is it takes up to 24 hours to dry depending on the temperature and humidity.

Here's some Super Fill used on the wing tank transition
DSC_0252.JPG
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I didn't like working with filler either. I only put filler to smooth the edge of the bracket. I just didn't want to risk sanding the rivets. I also put masking tape on the spar and bracket as I sanded. I noticed a photo of a newly completed aircraft posted on the forum in yellow with no bondo, didn't look bad. I don't mind seeing the rivets back and up 30' and you don't notice, we will see if the airflow notices someday.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Thanks for the replies. I think the less bondo the better. The way Fred did it will works for me.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”