2014 plane fun days gathering

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
billy5823
Veteran Member

2014 plane fun days gathering

Post by billy5823 »

hi all, I have been thinking about changing the event to labor day weekend...what do yall think... one reason is the weather,another is it would give everybody an extra day to get home,and third is that me and troy are going to be in Alaska in may.. let me know the good the bad and the ugle...thanks billy
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: 2014 plane fun days gathering

Post by scubarider2 »

Billy, my only thought is that most who have families use labor day weekend for family vacations. Might cause some.....words.....at the home front. :roll:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

That would likely be a deal breaker for me personally. This year alone we had to decide on which 10 of the 30 things we were going to do on labor day weekend. There is just way too much going on that time of year.
I love that it was in May as things had not yet started getting to busy for summer by then. Plus, what better way to start the fly in season than with Highlanders and SupperSTOLs, and the associated crowd.
Only my opinion, I understand the reasoning to change it, and will do my best to attend whenever it is. But as Scubarider says, it'll be MUCH harder to get away that late in the season.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Billy,
I will try and make any date work. Any chance you can move it to early June, before the kids are out of school and summer gets started? I personally like late summer or very early fall as the weather is usually good for flying.

Gary
Dave

Post by Dave »

Billy,
I just wanted to let you and the rest of your family know that whatever dates you set; I will not miss the fly-in. Everyone in your family, Troy and his extended family, and Gary who lives "Just over the Mountain" goes so way over the top with hospitality and they work so very hard to provide "A weekend not to be missed." It is my event of the year.You pick the weekend that Works the best for you and I'll be there.

My thoughts on Labor Day Weekend are that by Labor Day the weather is traditionally not as convective. The Temperatures are moderating so much better, with temps not as hot in the day and much cooler at night. Some years you are starting to get some color in the higher elevations. Western NC is great that time of the year, why Not bring the family. Gattlinburg, Dollywood, Biltmore House, The Ocoee, The Cherokee Nation are so close and there is so much more if everyone doesn't want to Just hang around and fly and talk about flying.
Over Chunky Gal in Asheville they had the Belle Cher festival for over 25 years, always the last weekend in July. 23 of those 25 years they would have afternoon showers that were like puring it out of a boot. They never thought about changing the date to a time less conducive to convective activity. NOW THAT'S INSANITY, doing the same thing and expecting a change.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

What ever date you select will just fine there are very few things in my life that cannot be moved with prior notice.
Wayne
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Hi Billy,

Figured I would throw my 2 cents worth in since you asked. It would make me a no show as my brother and I always head out west for an archery elk hunt in September every year. I would hate to miss it but I can understand why you would want to move it as the weather seems to be more predictable that time of year. With my current work schedule I would miss it every other year anyway so I would actually miss two years in a row :(
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Unfortunately this seems like it is a "you can please some of the people all of the time..." situation. I'm sure no matter when you have it there are going to be people with schedules that work great, and some it won't work at all.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Billy,
Just wanted to check in and see if/when you are having the fly-in this year.

Thanks
Gary
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I have not been to one of your fly ins before because the timing did not work right with my job, but labor day works great. As you are finding out, your new date will work with some and not so great with others, I guess you will meet a bunch of new people. Have fun in Alaska. R L M
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

So is there a date set yet? Haven't seen anything concrete yet. Hoping to get a plan in place if there is anyway I can make it. Still the third weekend in May?
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I talked to Billy today, and he says it will be Labor Day weekend. That'll work for some, and not for others, but that's the case with every weekend . . .

They had to move the event because they'll be prepping for and attending the Valdez May Day Fly In and Air Show (May 9-11, 2014).
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

Ok all, labor weekend..August 29 thru sept 1. Games and such sat and Sunday. The Hampton inn in Murphy gives us a good rate and is nice...the old post has all the info ..sorry for y'all that can't come you sure are gonna miss the cool stuff.. Let me know about Atlanta airport arrivals. Friday pick up and Monday departure. Would be best..thanks looking forward to plane fun days..my email billy@planefunaircraft.com. 828 557-4833
billy5823
Veteran Member

Post by billy5823 »

Flyi schedule

Friday 29th arrivals and playing
Sat
Balloon pop 9 to 11
Limbo. 12 to 1
Spot landing 2 to 4
Short take off and landing highlander5 to 6
Short take off and landing SS. 6 to 7
Party at cookout grill 8 till somebody dances on the table naked
Sunday
Bomb drop 10 to 12
Coyote shoot 1 to 3
Bush challenge 4 to 6
Tour of the mountains 6
Monday departures..

The airfield diagram and pertinent info is on the old post.. Let me know if I need to do anything to make this a great weekend form everyone. Thanks billy
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Billy, Sounds like Fun!
The Whitley Boys will be there, I plan to fly up Thurs and help out if that's OK, Wayne is driving the RV and planning on doing some video.
Not sure what Bill's plan is, but if he's not in surgery, he'll be there.
I'll bring some beer and popcorn and anything else you need-------
Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”