Panel Layout

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Panel Layout

Post by jjacky »

Hi Again...I'm in the "Planning the Instrument Panel" phase. It includes a Dynon Skyview, Ipad mini for a backup and a home made Angle Of Attack system. You guys have learned a lot about what is good and what to avoid in planning the "panel". What are your thoughts? Also any thoughts you have on the electrical system would be great....Thanks!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Panel Layout

Post by gkremers »

My starting point for wiring was Bob Nuckolls Figure Z-16.

I didn't install his low voltage monitor because the GRT EIS has that built in.
I also didn't install the E-Bus feed or endurance bus, just don't need that type of redundancy for my mission
Instead of the typical key start I installed bat switches for left, right ignition and a push button start.

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_A ... s/Z16M.pdf

Gary
N325AB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Here's an interesting article on panel design from the Vans AF folks.

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/th ... esign1.htm

I plan to use fuses rather than circuit breakers. Fuses are lighter, cheaper and more reliable than circuit breakers. Unlike circuit breakers, fuses can not fail in the closed position. I don't reset circuit breakers in flight anymore so changing out a fuse on the ground is just as easy as re-setting a CB. I will have a much simpler panel than you so the fuses may not be an attractive option in your case. This is what I'm installing. It mounts flush on the panel with all wires on the back.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content ... panel.html
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
RV6
Forum Regular

Post by RV6 »

Try to keep it light,like the old Champ was....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great! ...Thanks All and Tralika I agree with you about fuses versus circuit breakers. I'm going old school and sticking with 3AG type cartridge fuses. In the air I'll replace them just once because, over time, a fuse may blown due to "sag fatigue" (the in rush of current every time the equipment is turned on causes the fuse to sag a little). Thanks Again.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

My thoughts for an airplane like this are: nothing electrical will be important enough to replace a fuse in flight.

I have rethought my entire panel, axed the efis and am going for as far from glass as I can to oppose what I do at work. All steam gauges and maybe a turn coordinator (planning on night flying, the TC is just a good idea).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

DSCN3358 copy.jpg
Here is my panel. I have a Dynon D180 (bought used for a steal), Garmin GTR200 com/audio panel, and a Sandia STX165 Transponder. I used a bussman 12 slot fuse panel and mounted it behind the panel with milled slots for the fuses. I like the look, and it is inexpensive, light weight, and idiot resistant. Three of my favorite things. I have also mounted a Ram ball mount on the left side of my panel for a Garmin 696 for traveling, but it will stay home most of the time when I am flying around home.
Hopefully we can get some more panel pics in this thread as it is fun to see others ideas on the panel.

Sorry the pic is so dark, I have had a heck of a time getting a good picture of my panel for some reason...
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

Ben: what did you use for the separation of your switches?
Wayne
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

Hey, Ben,

I see you made it back from Oshkosh. It was great talking to some of the "forum" people while there.

When I was planning my panel, I worked around the Dynon Skyview 10". Just love it. Since the Skyview is only about 2 1/2 inches deep, it could go on the left side, whereas the D180s are about 6" deep and had to go in the middle. Since the transponder is remotely mounted, and controlled through the screen, it doesn't take up any panel space.

I'm not sure why my panel looks so crowded, compared to others', except that it looks like everyone just made theirs much bigger. Anyway, I agree, it is fun to see every panel is so different.

Dennis
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Agreed Dennis, was great meeting you too. I think I met about 6 new faces at OSH that had previously been just "handles" on this forum. Seeing your picture just made me chuckle a bit as I remember your incredibly clever throttle handle.
I like the D180, and I am sure it will work just fine for me, but it was not my first choice. I really wanted the GRT mini-X EFIS, but at the time, it was not yet available. I also stumbled upon the used D180 for a great price and just couldn't pass it up. I also knew the guy selling it, and know how he takes care of things. But yes, as you mentioned, it is deep, and was not ideal to mount. Im happy with how it ended up, but it would have been nice to have the shallower EFIS, as you mentioned, it would have opened up different panel layout options. I just decided the Skyview and similar products was sort of information overload for me. I think they are super cool, but honest assessment, Im a fair weather flyer, and a very light XC traveller.

Wayne, the switch guards are from Eric Jones at Perihelion Design. http://www.periheliondesign.com/
Great guy, and great products.
I have used several of his products in my airplane, including the over voltage relay, spike diodes, and his lightweight copper clad wire.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

Ben,

Boy, did I get christened going cross country. I always thought I was just a local flyer, and of course, the Oshkosh thing was a once in a lifetime. NO plans to fly that far again. That said, yeah, the Dynon does way more than I need, or can understand. With my iPad and Foreflight (and a friend's Stratus) I had all I could handle and fly too. Navigation I had in spades, but what I found to be really nice was the "info" button. I could find any upcoming airport and find out all I needed before I got there. Very helpful.

Out west, the airports are alot farther apart and so you pretty much know where you are going before leaving. I know, to just head out isn't the best plan, but I really didn't know for how long or how far I was able to go before I had to cry uncle.

Anyway, hope we can all get together someday a little further west. Billy and Vic Payne are great guys and their "Fun Days" I'd love to go to, but It'd be a long trailering.

Dennis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Wmilbauer wrote:Ben: what did you use for the separation of your switches?
Wayne
I'm not Ben, but how about these: http://www.periheliondesign.com/switchguards.htm
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Greetings all.

Here is my panel. I added the small black piece partially hidden below the throttle knob several years ago. This mounts a 12v "cigarette lighter" socket to provide inflight power to my cell phone or MP3 player. It was easy and works better than most things I have tried to do. The most recent update is the iFly 720 you see at the top of the panel. Wonderful moving map! It makes those cross country trips, long or short, worry free. I made a very sturdy mount which attaches to the two panel braces located in the middle to the panel under the glare shield. It is very light and vibration free. This panel was designed and built in the early days of glass panels, 2005/6, so I just went with steam gauges. It has gotten me back and forth from Texas to Sun&Fun three times so far.

Keep 'em flying!

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Make sure you plan around the airframe tubing. There is a brace on the far left side that will interfere with the installation of some items, especially a deep box like the Dynon D180.

Fuses are great, low $, simple and reliable. MIne are on the back of the firewall, inaccessible during flight. I like the kind that light up when they blow.

I don't like wires hanging off of the panel, so I installed a 12V receptacle (cigarette lighter) beside each seat. They are in that aluminum strip between the seats and the doorframe. They are wired to the battery and are protected by in-line fuses. The headset jacks are in that location also.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

GDS,
Do you have any problem snagging the headset wires mounted beside the seats while getting in and out of the plane?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”