Reflections on the first flight of a Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
barry767
Seasoned Member

Re: Reflections on the first flight of a Highlander

Post by barry767 »

John, Dennis and Gary, Thanks a bunch! No need to reinvent the wheel here and your pictures are worth a thousand words. Gary, I'll give you a call tomorrow. Barry
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Howdy Barry, you will be glad you installed it. I know that San Diego is quite balmy but on a cold morning it gets you off the ground a lot quicker Cheers John
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Spent today installing the Thermostasis unit with custom Highlander hoses provided by Steve at Aircraft Specialty. I removed the two existing hoses (oil tank to oil cooler and oil cooler to oil pump) with the four hoses that connect to the unit. Simple! Took maybe a couple hours but a lot of that was tie wrapping and securing the system. (See Gary's previous post - my setup now looks identical) Then after purging the oil system of air, I fired it up, checked for leaks and then went up for a test flight. On the ground I got 120 degrees oil temp in maybe half the time it used to take and on takeoff quickly got and maintained around 190 degrees, a significant increase in oil temp from before. Thanks everybody for your help and advice! Barry
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Barry,
Glad the install went well. You'll be able to tell when the Thermostasis unit opens at around 190 degrees, the oil temp will drop a little and then pick back up as it controls the oil flow to the cooler.

Gary
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Barry glad to hear that worked well. Here in NZ it is a necessity.
aircraftspecialty

Post by aircraftspecialty »

I just wanted to thank Gary K for helping us adapt this kit to the Highlander. We have many of these hoses and kits flying on the RV-12 aircraft and we always appreciate working with other builders who are willing to help us develop these products as drop in kits for your aircraft.

Barry, I am really glad to hear that you are happy with your Thermostat kit. We keep hearing from more and more customers how much this helps out their engine and how much they like it.

To anyone who is contemplating this package, I just wanted to let you know that we offer it in two different configurations. The first is as a complete package with the Thermostasis unit. The second is the hoses and the fittings only. Some people have already purchased the Thermostasis, and so we offer it in both configurations.

As always, we offer a 10 year warranty on all of our hoses.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me at steve@aircraftspecialty.com.

Happy building and flying
Steve
www.aircraftspecialty.com

As builders, we understand the importance of quality work and impeccable customer service. We offer Custom Hoses, Instrument Panels, CNC parts and tools for experimental aircraft.

Return to “Just Aircraft”