Panel Layout

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Panel Layout

Post by danerazz »

I am planning an overhead, middle, headset jack location.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I've seen headset jacks installed in the headache rack, and that location seems pretty appealing.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

No problem with snagging the wires. When I shut down I put the headset outside in the crook where the wing struts come together.

A potential problem with this location is that the seat cushion could put a side-load on the headset jacks. So far I haven't had a problem with it. The jacks are a little forward of the sitting zone and I put a couple of strips of velcro (hook side) on the seat pan so the cushion doesn't move around.

If you don't mind the wires coming out of the panel it's easier to panel mount the jacks on each side. I fly another plane that has headset and portables wires hanging off the panel and it's kind of annoying, so I avoided that in the H.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

The head rack is an excellent location for the headset jacks, but I've got a long torso and the back of my head touches if they are over the seat. (I had the factory eliminate that cross-brace behind the head, aka the tall-guy-mod) Danerazz idea of mounting in the middle sounds good.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I mounted my jacks in a project box and fastened it to the fuselage behind the seats with the jacks facing down. The cords hang behind the seats out of the way and it makes for a very clean installation... just make sure you keep the cords up away from the seat hinges when you fold the seats to keep them from getting pinched.
Dan
Headset Jacks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

010.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG
Try to plan in advance for all the goodies if you can. As you can see of my panel Dynon didn't even have the Skyview out when we built our Escapade/Highlander. And it did take a major rebuild to get everything back in when we switched to the Skyview. You can see where the original D-10 went because the unit is so deep. And of course they have the new VHF's and 2020 compatible transponder and ADSB and who knows what else. I realize we don't need all of this and some of us never will because of the location and use of our airplanes. But I'd like to think that if I was crazy enough to be flying into the LAX or PHX areas I could do it. Besides some of us have a weakness for toys.

I hate to think of it but maybe that last sentence sums it up for a few of us. Humm, I wonder what Santa might have in a few months.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I mounted the headset jacks just forward of the sticks on each side. They are out of the way at all times. You can't even see the holes unless you have your face in the foot well. I insert the plugs by trying the largest plug first. If it doesn't fit I put it in the other hole. The cord falls naturally between your legs.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

GRT SportSX, Trigg TT22 transponder(ADSB out) and TY91 comm, GRT EIS, and PS Engineering intercom. I also installed the Alpha AOA with a vertical indicator. The AOA was simple to set up, it's the first AOA I've had and makes nailing the approach speed a snap. The EFIS displays traffic and weather also via the SKY Radar (ADSB in) installed on the avionics tray located behind the panel. The Ray Allen trim is controlled by a coolie hat on the grip. The grip also has 2 momentary switches for the radio, one controls standby/active and the other lets you select from 10 frequencies in memory. the push to talk is on the front side of the grip. Like many newer radios the Trigg allows you to monitor the standby frequency, the active frequency has priority whenever it senses a transmission.
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
photo.JPG

Return to “Just Aircraft”