Inspection Rings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Inspection Rings

Post by Tralika »

I'm going to start covering soon and I started to think about where to put inspection rings on the wings. The only place I can think of needing access is for the pitot tube connection. All of the pulleys are accessible through the fabric plates. There doesn't seem to be anything else that will need maintenance or recurring inspections. For those of you that have completed your planes, where did you put your inspection rings? Is there any area that you wish you had put an inspection ring on your wing? I understand that I can install rings and not cut them out until needed. I'm just not sure where they will be needed.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Re: Inspection Rings

Post by FredHoffman »

I put an inspection ring in each bay to have access for control cable replacement and one for the pitot connections.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Make sure you can access tjhe flap return springs.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Or use mine :)
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

If you think you might install an angle of attack instrument that is separate from the airspeed indicator it would be good to have an inspection ring in one of the bays.

Also, before you start covering wings, hold the pitot tube in position and hold the lift strut in position, make sure that you didn't mount the pitot tube on the wrong side of the bay. (like this guy I know) If it's in the wrong spot, it will come down right behind the lift strut and you'll have to extend it. (In addition, blow out the pitot tube before you install it. The same guy mentioned above didn't know he had a spider's nest in the pitot tube, had no airspeed on the first flight and had to cut the inspection hole open after only .5 hours flying time...)
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Thanks for the replies.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191