Look it over closely

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Look it over closely

Post by Tralika »

I'm in the process of installing my wing tips. I just noticed that there was a rivet missing from the drag tube attachment next to the #9 rib. In the photo you can see the top left rivet hole filled with extruded hysol. The missing rivet seems obvious now, but I didn't notice it before, even when I was installing the gusset. My wings were built by the factory and I have to admit that I didn't inspect them as closely as I should have. I have inspected them now and found no other abnormalities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
jak
Veteran Member

Re: Look it over closely

Post by jak »

Sorry we forgot to install a rivet just run a #30 drill through to clean up the hysol and put in a rivet thats what we would do. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Rampil

Post by Rampil »

Looks from the photo that the hole should be deburred after you drill out the Hysol and before you set the rivet
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I already drilled out the hysol, de-burred and put in a ss rivet. Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else had not inspected their kit thoroughly. I'm still very happy with the overall quality and completeness of my kit. As long as humans are involved in the production of any product we should check for errors and/or omissions. As builders we are the next to the last step in quality control, right before the DAR final inspection.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Just Aircraft NZ Ltd

Post by Just Aircraft NZ Ltd »

Hi,

We have been having aileron response and roll control issues with our factory built SuperStol, here in NZ.

Despite rigging and re-rigging a dozen times, calling Troy to discuss the issue and following up on his suggestions, we were not able to sort it out.

One two occasions, during test flying, the lack of roll response almost saw the plane bite the dust and, as the test pilot responsible for releasing the aircraft to the owner, I was not able to sign it out.

After a flight today, in light turbulence, when taxing in I noticed that the stick seemed to have shifted position relative to the aileron position. I got my son to hold on aileron firmly and I gave the stick a fairly solid shake from side to side and it moved when the ailerons didn't !!!!!

We peeled back the carpets and you'll see in the video what was going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1IcgGZtU6c

The nylon locating blocks had not been installed on the control stick cross tube allowing the tube to slide in the brackets when force was applied against the airflow! The controls must move to control pitch and as the nylon has worn a bit it has allowed the tube to slide sideways as well.

We have been through this plane plenty of times and had never noticed this. However it is hard to notice something that is not there !

A real potential for disaster and one that should not have been possible in a factory built plane.

So, just because its built in the factory don't assume it should be right. Go through it from start to finish and verify every system thoroughly.

Jac, you owe us a beer on this one !

Grant
John Hood and Grant Coldicott
Just Aircraft NZ Limited
Just Aircraft's New Zealand and Australian Agents
http://www.justaircraft.co.nz
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Wow! I bet it flys much better now. There is never to many eyes to look over an aircraft. I think you should go through the aircraft start to finish just like you did built it. Might be good piece of mind to cover "what else". Everyone makes mistakes and there is many opportunities when building a plane, they are just not allowed cause your life depends on it ;-)
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/

Return to “Just Aircraft”