Electric Flaps Fix for bow legged builder

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Electric Flaps Fix for bow legged builder

Post by danerazz »

I just meant a belcrank with the pivot in the middle so it would pull on both sides at the same time with a linear actuator to move it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Ok, now I get it. That could be adjusted for speed and throw also, depending on how long it is and where the actuator connected. Good idea!
Super Stol Kit #299
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

This youtube video shows how a servo motor might be used in conjunction with a double arm bell crank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz21-SPqGcQ
Super Stol Kit #299
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

That is more complicated and not quite exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking of an arm with a pivot point in the middle, with the two flap cables attached to the ends. The pivot point would be attached to a bearing and anchored to the airframe. The linear actuator would attach to one side of the arm so it could rotate it a number of degrees by pushing or pulling on that side of the arm. The cables both need to be pulled to lower the flaps, and that is what it would do. The video looks like a steering setup.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

The video looks simpler to me in that the double arm bell crank arm could be fastened directly to the servo shaft, making the servo shaft the pivot point. Also, since there is no actuator extending, it could be more compact. The video shows radio control. I'm not sure how complicated the control would need to be if not radio controlled.
Super Stol Kit #299
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

It would be more simple, but you would need a relatively powerful servo, so likely more cost and weight. If the servo/actuator was a true R/C signal type servo you can control it with a $15 micro controller and simple code and make it have preset positions, automatically retract the flaps as you speed up or extend as you slow or not extend over a certain speed or just run up and down with a switch. I designed and built an electric trim system that used one and it worked great, but I couldn't find a servo with a small enough dead zone to eliminate slop in the trim.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”