Super STOL Build Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Super STOL Build Pics

Post by Familyflyer »

Catto prop.

One thing I just thought of is the spacer and crush plate you will need for the airplane. You can get it through Just but they only have the 3" I think. I wanted the least amount of extension possible. I tried to make it work without but it just wouldn't. If the rad was back a bit more it would though. I got a 1" spacer and that gave me lots of room. I also kept the cowl fairly tight to the spinner but it fits really crappy. Like 1/8 clear on one side and 1/2" or so on the other. It's sure not an RV fit, I sure wish it fit better but it was not worth all the work and added weight to redo the cowling.

Good luck :D
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

kenryan wrote:The manual refers to an alternate air source (from within the cowling) in case the air filter freezes. Does Canada also say that is not required?
I hope not. I installed per the Just aircraft kit. I only talked carb heat with our distributor. The manual says recommended not required. Generally an alternate air is required if the filter could get packed with snow/ice coming into the intake. If that happened only the front of the filter on this Rotax set would get plugged and the after part would stay clear taking air from the cowl. I won't be flying in snow or ice but I will see if I will have to add that. I still can, but would rather not.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Swoopjack
Forum Regular

Post by Swoopjack »

your build looks awesome. Where did you get your aluminum fuel tanks?I'm still about a year from ordering my kit but have decided I want to go with aluminium tanks.thanks for the info. Jack
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Swoopjack wrote:your build looks awesome. Where did you get your aluminum fuel tanks?I'm still about a year from ordering my kit but have decided I want to go with aluminium tanks.thanks for the info. Jack
The aluminum tanks are part of the kit.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Swoopjack
Forum Regular

Post by Swoopjack »

Thanks,,,I guess I overlooked that option on the web site. Jack
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Weighed the plane today. 897lbs. I think its a fatty. The only change that I could make to lighten it is the Oddessey battery and some lighter fuel valves. I won't change the battery so I might save a pound on the valves. Not worth it. I wouldn't change anything I did really.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Swoopjack wrote:Thanks,,,I guess I overlooked that option on the web site. Jack
The aluminum tanks are not an option, they are standard on the SS kit. You can get either 9 or 13 gallon tanks on the non-SS kit, both sizes composite, no metal available (unless you build them yourself).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Troy
How is your weight and balance?
I am trying to figure out if I should put my battery in the back or under the seat.I am considering a earthx lithium battery that has built in circuit protection against over and under charging.
Your plane looks great anxious to hear how it flies.
Thanks! For your updates.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I have the elt in the far back and using the larger tail wheel from Jim. I put the back up battery for the G3X behind the luggage bay. My c.g. Is at 8.8 empty and 9.3 with me in it. Range is 9 to 15. So when I add fuel, it will keep moving aft. I have to still do all the luggage calcs. I would keep the battery under the seat but make sure the elt is way in the tail. Remember, I have the 914 which is heavier. A light battery might even work on the fire wall too. I think one should keep the cg as far forward as you can so you can carry more luggage. Just me. Really though, under the seat or aft with the light weight battery will work.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Troy
Would you have any closeup pictures of how you installed the cabin heat ?
Thanks! Oren
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

If you look on page 4 about half way down you can see the valve at the fire wall. There is also a few pics of the heat muff itself. Which area of it are you really looking for?
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Troy, some how I missed the post above. 897 pounds? Oink Oink! Did you have fuel in the tanks? That seems way heavy! Perhaps the thickening winter air laying heavy on the scales? It doesn't look lke your post got much attention. would have thought that there would have been a lot of conversation regarding that weight. That would not leave much useful load at my weight. I need to hit the treadmill this winter. Are you going to try to get that beauty into the air before the winter sets in or are you gong to wait til Spring? Joe B
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I have been told that the latest factory 914 SuperSTOL was 900lbs. So mine seams rights. It had oil and coolant. No fuel. I am registering it at 1500# gross per the airframe design so I am not concerned. At a light sport weight, you don't have much useful load after you fill the tanks!
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

I was surprised by the weight, too, especially as I am planning on the 914. It's hard for me to see where the weight comes from. The 914 with exhaust and overload clutch weighs 153.3 lbs. Add the ring mount (3.7 lbs) and the fuel pumps (3 lbs) and the larger header tank (1 lb) and we're up to 161 lbs.

The 912 with exhaust and overload clutch weighs 137 lbs so the difference should be about 24 pounds, plus whatever the additional fuel lines weigh. I think Steve Henry's SuperSTOL weighs 820 doesn't it? His engine must weigh at least as much as a 914. It doesn't look like you added any heavy instruments or equipment, so it's hard to see how it came out close to 900. Are you sure your scales are accurate?
Super Stol Kit #299
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I used digital aircraft scales, they were right for my weight. My panel is light other than the transponder. I really don't know how the others are so light. Again a recent 914 factory build was 900lbs I was told. The Stewarts system is suppose to be lighter as well. I really do not know where I could loose more pounds. Chuck the interior is about it, that is under 10 lbs though. Good luck getting it light :D
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube

Return to “Just Aircraft”