Aileron spoilers

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Aileron spoilers

Post by Allan »

Was just reading in an article about last Plane Fun day that Troy has new aileron spoilers for his plane. Anyone know anything about that?
Allan
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Re: Aileron spoilers

Post by SuperFly »

Yep Allan,

Its the latest performance mod Troy has come up with. They have been flying them on a couple of airplanes at the factory for a few months now, I think the first ones went on Billy Paynes airplane. Troy has been fine tuning them up until this point, and I think they are ready to start offering them to customers. They operate off the aileron bell crank, and extend up in a turn. They increase the roll rate of the airplane, as well as maintain roll control authority down into very low airspeeds.
I have a set ordered, but they are not here just yet. I am hoping they will arrive next week. Troy said they were going to try to get them out right away. They are right at the point of starting to sell them, so I don't think they are on the website yet, and as far as I know, they have not even set a price yet... At least not that I have been told right now.
I ordered them because I know I would be upset with myself if I didn't put them in before I covered the wings.
The design has three spoilers that extend up from the top of the wing at full extension about 2 inches more or less, on the inside wing of the turn (cutting lift on the outer portion of the wing, essentially the same effect as larger ailerons) the out board spoiler in the same turn is drawn further into the wing, and does not show during that turn. Since they are attached to the same bell crank as the ailerons, they are below the surface of the wing when the stick is centered.
Hope that helps a bit. Once I get mine, I am going to get right on installing them, and I will post to my website the process for you all to see.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Might spoilers be a huge problem in snow country?
Super Stol Kit #299
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Could possibly be I suppose. There is a slotted opening in the top of the wing that the spoilers come up through. I suppose they could get snow and ice in them and cause grief. However, I would say if you are leaving the airplane outside in that sort of weather, a tarp over the wings would prevent anything getting into there, which would also keep frost from covering the wings as we learned in primary flight training many years ago has adverse effects on flight characteristics of an airfoil.

I suppose that is why they are and option. May not be right for everyone. Also, I suppose that if it were snow and ice season or country, you would theoretically have much colder, denser air to work with, and it may not be as necessary...

My $0.02...
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

We do use wing covers that are made like a sleeve and slide over the wing. Problem is, if there is a wind blowing it lifts them and puts abnormal pressures on the control surfaces etc. You can't really use them in a strong wind. So my question would be...if those slots packed with snow and froze, would that lock up the ailerons?
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

yes i believe it would Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

At least you will know before you take off. Then again, my newest product available for the SS, HEATED SPOILERS
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Sounds like this is something get on to before I get to the covering stage. Again it seems to me that the principal of "wing bits" that come out when you "need" them is part of this wings story -hope it keeps evolving!
Allan
bizkid

Post by bizkid »

By Dan Johnson

Just Aircraft just can't sit still on their SuperSTOL. The airplane is selling briskly and chief designer Troy Woodland keeps improving this amazing aerial animal. It's already a fascinating airplane to watch make incredibly short takeoffs and even shorter landings. Now, it will have even more control at its crawling approach speed because Troy added spoilers to the wings (arrow), joining movable slats, vortex generators, tip plates, and large-volume flaps. My longtime interest in gliders and soaring gives me familiarity with spoilers. I feel they are an underused flight control that can have a significant effect on the wing's lift and, unlike flaps, they can be retracted quickly without adverse results. Indeed, when I flew the Cumulus ultralight motorglider extensively I became very accustomed to using them intermittently, in short on-off bursts, to control approaches to landing. For a super-short-field performer like SuperSTOL, this may prove a compelling idea and one more reason to consider this intriguing design. Just Aircraft has sold more than 500 kits and is going strong ... no wonder with this steady development work they're doing.

SuperStol Kit #338,
With 29" Alaska Airstreaks
And Rotax 912uls, Kiev Prop.
OY-REP (Reserved)

Return to “Just Aircraft”