Riveting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Madredr1

Riveting

Post by Madredr1 »

i thought Just had a list of required tools but I can't seems to find it on their site. Just curious, does this kit require riveting at all?
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Riveting

Post by Familyflyer »

Which model, superstol or Highlander? Superstol has lots of pulled rivets that can be subbed to solid if you so choose, not recommended unless you are a repeat offender. At least that's my excuse. :mrgreen: Even the highlander will have pulled rivets, just much less. You will want a squeazer for the solid rivets on the nut plates though.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Madredr1

Post by Madredr1 »

Am considering a highlander, and bucking rivets scares me so was just curious how much riveting is involved in these kits.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

The only solid rivets on the Highlander are a few 3/32" aluminum rivets used to hold the Cam-loc bases into the fuselage for the turtle deck and cowlings. In a pinch, you can even squeeze them with a pair of pump pliers, but you may want to use a little piece of flat plate over the rivet head as you squeeze to keep the groves in the pliers from showing on the soft rivet heads. The rest are all pulled rivets... lots of them to do, especially if you rivet the wing fabric rather than stitch it, but no bucking required!
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Another option is to use 10" Knipex parallel-jaw pliers, part # 86 05 250, available on Amazon for about $60.
Knipex 86 05 250 s.jpg
Their smooth jaws are perfect for squeezing rivets even in some pretty tight places, for flattening minor whoop-de-doos on sheet metal parts, and for grabbing without leaving tooth marks. I saw Jak's at the factory and ordered my own right away; now I use them for so many things that I rarely put them away.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Knipex pliers is one tool I
will never be without.
So helpful in many places
during a Highlander build.
A must have.

I also used them for the
squeeze rivets. The Tool
Shed in Greenville keeps
both sizes in stock.

John
SheepdogRD wrote:Another option is to use 10" Knipex parallel-jaw pliers, part # 86 05 250, available on Amazon for about $60.
Knipex 86 05 250 s.jpg
Their smooth jaws are perfect for squeezing rivets even in some pretty tight places, for flattening minor whoop-de-doos on sheet metal parts, and for grabbing without leaving tooth marks. I saw Jak's at the factory and ordered my own right away; now I use them for so many things that I rarely put them away.
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

While attaching the aileron/flap hinge and bellcrank brackets I discovered that my rivet puller would not reach one rivet at each station. It was tucked under the lower aft section of the wing trialing edge. I bought a cheap rivet puller and used a grinder to reduce the height until it was even with the barrel of the puller. It just fit into the space available to pull the rivets.

In hindsight I should have bought a second rivet puller when I started the project. I don’t know how many times I have gotten a little of the Hysol adhesive on the tip of the rivet puller and was unable to get the mandrel of a rivet out of the puller. I got pretty good at quickly taking apart the rivet puller to remove the mandrel, then reassembling the tool fast enough to get back to the job of pulling rivets before the adhesive hardened up. Kind of like field stripping and re-assembling a rifle. It’s been a long time since I’ve had to do that. It would have been much easier to have a second rivet puller to use in those circumstances. Now I have one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

That picture of the Knipex pliers didn't seem to take, so here's another try.
Knipex 86 05 250 s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Madredr1

Post by Madredr1 »

Wow, thanks for the info everyone, this site is a great resource! Ever since I found out about the Highlander through researching the Superstol, I have been excited about building one - it seems a heck of a lot less daunting than my initial idea of building an RV-7...

Return to “Just Aircraft”