I'm Selling my Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
av8rps
Veteran Member

I'm Selling my Highlander

Post by av8rps »

Hey Gang,

I've decided to sell my Highlander. There are none on Barnstormers currently, so I thought I'd give people here first shot at it before I post it there.

It is a two time award winning airplane (2005 EAA & Sun-N-Fun) built by Cornell Aero Works, painted with Airtech in white and maroon with gray trim. Interior is matching gray and maroon fabric. Rotax 912ULS with a composite Sensenich ground adjustable prop. Panel includes MGL Stratomaster black & white glass panel that serves as engine instruments, flight instruments, checklists, etc. Back up manual flight instruments. MicroAir com, King transponder with encoder, intercom, ELT, etc. Cabin heat. Whelen strobes. Electric backup fuel pump. New extended "Extreme Highlander" gear with single caliper brakes, AirTrac 8.50 tires, and a Maule tailwheel. Only 680 lbs empty, making it a real performer... Climbs at 1,800 fpm solo and cruises at a real 108 mph at 5,450 rpm. A beautiful, exceptional airplane overall. And well proven having been flown from Wisconsin to Sun-N-Fun and back, and also flown on wheels, floats, and skis (Sorry, skis and floats are not included in sale).

$72,500 firm. As is where is. (it would cost far more than that to build a quality airplane like this today)

Needs a new condition inspection and a few minor things like reattaching some loose weatherstripping, some work to the radio and intercom wiring to correct static & intermittent issues, and maybe a new battery. I'm selling it "as is" not because the airplane has issues, but because I just don't have time currently to deal with any of that. If interested either PM me, or call my cell at 715-581-4381. Highlander located in central Wisconsin (AUW)

Paul

Below are some pictures of it;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: I'm Selling my Highlander

Post by av8rps »

Oops, I forgot to post hours; Airframe, engine, and prop have 270 hrs total time. Hardly broke in :D
Kushtekaa

Post by Kushtekaa »

Would it qualify as SLSA, being built by Cornell Aero Works? And if so how hard would it be to change to tri-gear? The reason I ask is because there is a need for one in our area to rent/lease for instruction & this would allow me to afford it.

Thanks,
John
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Just aircraft does not have SLSA authorization on any of it's kits. The places that are building them sell them as "used experimental aircraft".
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Kushtekaa wrote:Would it qualify as SLSA, being built by Cornell Aero Works? And if so how hard would it be to change to tri-gear? The reason I ask is because there is a need for one in our area to rent/lease for instruction & this would allow me to afford it.

Thanks,
John
Hey John,

Yes, Dane has it right. There really is no such thing (as far as I know) as an SLSA Highlander.

Cornell Aero Works was an unofficial builder assistance center, working with Just as a Dealer, but nothing officially connected to the factory. Jack at Cornell Aero Works was very well qualified to help people build the kit they bought as he was involved in building a bunch of Highlanders. I don't know how many he did overall, but in addition to the Highlanders he also did some really awesome "Backcountry Cub" kits. One 235 hp Supercub he did with a celebrity so it was equipped with the best of the best - and it turned out INCREDIBLE. I believe it won Grand Champion at Sun-N-Fun. Anyhow, Cornell Aero Works has helped to turn out a whole bunch of truly "show quality" airplanes.

As an aside, Jack and I had become really good friends years ago through float flying. I teased him regularly about his "truck like" Cessna 206 amphib, telling him he should really get into something more fun like I was doing. That's how he found Just Aircraft and the Highlander (Troy had just introduced the Highlander after partnering with Gary). And even though Jack could have pretty much any airplane he wants, he still has a Highlander as his own personal airplane. I thought for sure he might build himself a super Super Cub after doing a couple of really stellar examples of Supercubs, but he told me that he still likes his Highlander better than the best Super Cub he's ever flown. So coming from him, in my opinion that says a lot about our Highlanders. Of course, most reading this probably already know that :wink:

With all that said, the simple fact that Jack was involved in the build of the airplane I have for sale here should tell anyone interested that this a very well built Highlander.

Paul
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Kushtekaa wrote:Would it qualify as SLSA, being built by Cornell Aero Works? And if so how hard would it be to change to tri-gear? The reason I ask is because there is a need for one in our area to rent/lease for instruction & this would allow me to afford it.

Thanks,
John
John,

Also thought worth mentioning... While the amateur built Highlander can't be used for commercial instruction, an instructor can teach YOU to fly in it as the owner, or anyone else you choose, as long as you don't charge for the airplane. But I think you already know that.

A friend of mine near me teaches sport pilot in an older but really nice Aeronca Champ 7AC. That works really well for him as aquisition cost was really low (25Kish) and for training one doesn't need the performance of a Highlander. In fact, the older underpowered planes (by comparison to the Highlander) like Champs and Cubs will probably make better trainers as the Highlander performs so well that it kind of spoils those new to aviation. Some of the best float plane pilots I've ever flown with learned in underpowered 65 hp J3 Cubs. If you can get that off the water you can pretty much fly anything :?

Paul
Kushtekaa

Post by Kushtekaa »

"As an aside, Jack and I had become really good friends years ago through float flying. I teased him regularly about his "truck like" Cessna 206 amphib, telling him he should really get into something more fun like I was doing."

Hey don't knock the 206, it is a very efficient load hauler, especially with the cargo doors. It sits in a nice sweet spot between a 185 & Beaver. If I had my pick, it might be the 206 just to haul stuff around anyways. An aquaintance mentioned that you should easily be able to make money with the 206 in the remote bush.

John
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Yes, the 206 looks like a great loadhauler with those big cargo doors and all, but unless they are on straight floats, and/or turbocharged or have at least a 550 stuffed under the hood, dont try to fly one out of a 500 acre glaciated lake with just 2 people and a reasonable 3 hr fuel load as it will probably be a little more than unnerving. They are just not good performers as an amphib, which is a really good test of an aircrafts capabilities imho.

I was in Jacks' 206 amphib one day with just he and I and 1/4 tank of fuel, and it took over 40 seconds just to get it on step. My 80 hp Kitfox amphib with 2 people and full fuel (which would be at least 6 times the range of what we had in his 206) will fly off the water over gross in less time than that 206 will get on step.
Now don't get me wrong, I like a 206. But as amphibs go, you better have big water to fly one from.
Kushtekaa

Post by Kushtekaa »

Yes, Dane has it right. There really is no such thing (as far as I know) as an SLSA Highlander.
So, this is wrong information on EAA's website? Just curious. It must have been in the works at some time?
http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-comm ... t-aircraft

John
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I know a few years ago the factory was looking into it, but I believe they got busy selling kits so moved on. You would have to ask the factory to be sure.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

There was an SLSA built -- it appeared at the 2013 Plane Fun Days gathering. Here are a couple of screen grabs that show it. I can't make out or recall the N number.
Highlander SLSA-1.JPG
Highlander SLSA-2.JPG
As I remember, the SLSA program requires so much more paperwork, parts tracking, recordkeeping, etc. that it makes you wonder if administration expenses wouldn't devour any additional profit generated by SLSA sales. I don't know what happened to JA's SLSA program, but I suspect it may have been run over by the great success of the SuperSTOL.

(Edit: Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Paul.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I recall Harry working on getting approval for SLSA, but that was right before Gary's accident, and then shortly after that Troy started working on the SS. I recall they did get approval, (but I didnt know they actually produced one). I'm guessing they're probably not real serious about SLSA production being that they are so busy with kit production, and that it is so laborious to do SLSA's due to all the associated regulations.

No concern about hijacking the thread.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

SLSA_Directory.xls
There is indeed a JA, Highlander, SLSA in the FAA data base.
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/
bandit
Forum Regular

Post by bandit »

Would you consider selling as a package with floats and skis? Please e mail me at icr@live.ca

thanks
Brent
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Brett,

Yes, I will sell it as a package (I have two sets of floats, so I would sell one set with it. And I'm pretty sure I can come up with another set of skis when I need them for my new Highlander).

Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”