Wing Assembly

wino59
Forum Regular

Wing Assembly

Post by wino59 »

Finally got the front and rear spars shaped. This took quite a bit of time, since I had to sand down the entire length of the rear spars in order to get them to fit through the opening.

I needed to get the spars done, before I finished the full size ribs, because I wanted to put them in the spars to shape the leading edge. I left the nose blocks a little bigger so I could sand them down together once they were on the spars.

Now that the spars are done and the full size ribs sanded, I can add the ply, and start weighing the componets to lay out the right and left wings, with the idea to get them even in weight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wino59
Forum Regular

Re: Wing Assembly

Post by wino59 »

Shaped the ends of the spars according to plans. Not a whole lot to say here...I will do final shaping of the front spar once the root ribs are made, but waiting to make the root ribs once the fuselage is made. It is pretty close right now, so just some final shaping during fitment of the root rib may be necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Leveled the saw horses and then laid out the wing... Now I am ready to start gluing. I am going to square up rib 2 glue it, let it dry, then square up rib 10 with rib 2 and glue it, and let it dry. This should keep things pretty square, and keep things from moving around. Then, I can then glue the rest of the ribs in place.

After everything is glued, I will use a flush cut saw to trim the capstrips flush with the front of the front spar.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

I got the right wing completed, all corner blocking, gussets, trim, and the aileron spar are all glued. As you can see from the pics, I made sure everything was square and aligned across the entire wing. I was overly concerned, but they came out perfect.

Working on the left wing now, and things are progressing much faster, probably because I already done one.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Anything related to building the wing will be put in this section...So all the attach fittings, cables, tabs etc will be here....I will probably start a different topic for the leading edge and controls like flaps and ailerons.

I finished up the the fittings that attach to the struts. I made the pieces bigger when I cut them out, so I could bend them, then they were trimmed to size after bending. Then the holes were drilled.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

More Wing Attachments....Finished with them now, time to move on to the tabs, turnbuckles, etc.

Return to “Chadd's Buttercup Project”