Montana Coyote Mountain Eagle

Montana Eagle
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Re: Montana Coyote Mountain Eagle

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Hi Planecrazzy,
I'm still here and going to post as I have S/N 2003 which I'm building and have the pictures here of it. I ended up with S/N 2001 in December and I just sold that kit. I hope to get other kits up and going and I think giving this kit factory like support could be the answer to their value and more of them flying.
Thanks,
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Managed to spend a little time on my project tonight. I had the tail installed and found the elevators to be very heavy. I either need to add a spring to help with the weight or modify them to a balance type control. I decided to have them modified to static balance them and make them lighter.
Here's a couple of before modification photos and removing them.

David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Back to working on the Eagle project. I think my motivation to finish it has finally kicked in.
Today I worked on setting the dihedral in the wings and then drilled the jury strut fittings to the spar and tightened the hardware.

I'm also working on the seat tracks and seats. I installed the original seats per the kit instructions and found my head would hit the rear spar if I set it to a comfortable position. I decided to buy seats from a Cessna 150 and install them as they would be more comfortable. I lowered them in the cabin floor a bit in hopes of having enough head room to the rear spar carry through. I increased the clearance but it still didn't seem enough especially if there was turbulence while flying. So, out they come again and I lowered them to the bottom of the cabin floor with a little tilt towards the rear for comfort. This gives me plenty of clearance now between my head and the rear spar carry through. Finally I'll weld the tracks in to stay!

I also thought it would be time to start hooking up the engine and controls, so I torqued the engine mounts and the engine is in place. I can now work firewall forward including the windshield and cowlings.

Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

A little more work accomplished over the last couple of weeks. The lift struts and jury struts are attached and finished. Time to get the ailerons finished and then work on the attach fittings for them. Here's a couple of pictures of the right hand aileron finished up and clamped in place to start working on the attach fittings.

David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Started to work on making the aileron and flap attach brackets. The fittings are a design that the mounting hardware wasn't finished. I had several designs that I tried out of aluminum before settling on something that's easy to make and more importantly, make 12 of them the same. I'll start to cut the pieces out of 4130 steel and post pictures of the parts and finished assemblies. I also started on some of the finish work such as windows. I want a flush smooth finish, so I'll have to remove the mounting tabs and re-weld them to get the look I want.
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Here's some photos as promised of the aileron and flap brackets that I'm making now. These are the forward attach brackets and I still have to design and make the rear attach brackets.

I'm kind of bouncing around on the project but am working on a few other areas of this project while I tackle a large one. The aileron and flap brackets are time consuming and a lot of hand filing involved.

I started to work on the small windows just aft of the doors. The acrylic stuck out past the tubing after I cut them to size. I want them flush so I removed the tabs and will weld them back on where the windows will be flush.

Tabs to be removed:

Tabs removed:

Fitting the acrylic where it is flush with the fuselage tubing.

Thanks,
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Work continues with small parts being manufactured. Here's a picture of the flap/aileron attach brackets all cut out and formed ready to be welded together. They should be completed in the next 2 weeks and then I can install the one aileron I have finished.

I picked up the right hand horizontal stabilizer and elevator after the modification to add a counter balance to the elevator. It now matches the rudder and I think really balances the looks with the airframe.

David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Forward flap/aileron brackets finished welding and ready for drilling then priming.

Left hand horizontal stabilizer and elevator finished with the counterbalance and electric trim installation.

David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Worked on fitting aileron brackets and then checked aileron for fit. all looks good so on to drilling holes and bolting it in place.

I do like the D-extrusion for the leading edge of the ailerons. Makes for a clean leading edge and no place for water, etc to get inside the aileron.

David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

I'm going to have to put my project aside for a little while as it's time for me to finish a replica B-17 throttle quadrant project that I'm building for a customer. It's a fun and challenging project.

David
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

Balls to the Wall...
We'll be waiting...
Gotta Fly...
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

It was killing me not working on my project, so, I'm back at it between working on the replica quadrant. I built the pitot probe and installed it and I also started on the carb air box. I purchased a carb air box from Vans aircraft and it requires a fair amount of assembly. Pictures to follow in the next day of two.
David
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Pictures as promised of the last little bit of work accomplished.
Pitot probe built and installed in the left wing.

Next up are a few pictures of the carb air box going together. This airbox is from Van's aircraft and for an O-320.

Just a little assembly needed on this airbox. Here's a few pictures of installing some nutplates in the airbox assembly.

The next 2 photos are of the airbox going together on the O-320.

David
Pyrotaviator

Post by Pyrotaviator »

Hi to all new to the forum. I found you guys while doing an Internet
Search for any info I could find on the coyote.

Here's what's going on. I've come into posesion of a ~90% complete airframe. Less an engine wheels windshield and fuselage fabric. I guess it used to fly, or perhaps the builder died before completion. But I've been jumping around like a maniac trying to come up with some info. The one I'm getting has no paperwork, nothing. Im really wanting to put an O-235 in it and just burn holes in the sky to get my currency back. But not even worrying about the Feds, what I'm most concerened about is getting some tech data. If anyone here is able to provide that or some contact info for someone who can that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks all
Mike E
Mountain Eagle
Seasoned Member

Post by Mountain Eagle »

Hi Mike,
I haven't been on the forum much lately, but am ready to get back to my project and do some more updates. I do owe you a phone call to discuss your project. Seems interest in this old kit has picked up a bit as I'm currently working with 2 builders offering support where I can. A friend of mine got his Coyote back together after modifying the tail feathers and is ready to start back on the test flights. He has about 6 hours on it so far. I'm interested to hear if the larger tail control surfaces really solved the handling issues.
David

Return to “Montana Coyote”