Prince prop - Steve Henry

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Prince prop - Steve Henry

Post by Allan »

Steve,

Sounds like you have your Prince. How has it performed and keen to know some numbers on your plane?

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Prince prop - Steve Henry

Post by taildrgfun »

I do like my Prince propeller. I think it takes off every bit as good as the Catto but it gives me 10 miles an hour more cruise.
I have a Prince ordered to put on my Highlander with that 110 hp big bore Rotax also. I have an 82 38 for the turbo motor on the Stol and I have an 80 42 coming for the Highlander.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

taildrgfun wrote:I do like my Prince propeller. I think it takes off every bit as good as the Catto but it gives me 10 miles an hour more cruise.
I have a Prince ordered to put on my Highlander with that 110 hp big bore Rotax also. I have an 82 38 for the turbo motor on the Stol and I have an 80 42 coming for the Highlander.
If the Highlander had a standard 100hp 912S instead of the big bore, what prop would you use, Steve?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Dick,
My highlander was likely the first one to have a Prince Prop and I found that 74-51 works really well. With little or no wind, I can get off the ground solo in 150' and dual in 200' or less without trying too hard and it cruises at about 95 at 75% power and top end is about 105... Rotax 912ULS powered. I believe Lonnie has widened out the blade a bit more, but it's already pretty aggressive looking. Only problem with the Prince Prop is that the wait time has almost doubled to get one.
Dan
C-FDEP with 74 inch P-Tip Prop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

Good to hear. With the Prince take off and the faster cruise am I right in understanding that compared to the Kiev you get a better take off and much the same cruise?

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Alan, that's right. I get a MUCH better take off than with the Kiev even if the Kiev is pitched for 5800 rpm. The only thing I would even consider a Kiev for might be a long distance trip with long runways.
Dan what is your full power static rpm with your 74-51 Prince on your 100hp? That sounds like it shoud be a good cruise prop.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Steve,
I don't believe I have ever done a full power static run-up to check the rpm, but I was regularly getting between 5650 and 5750 on climb out, so I figure it had to be pretty close to the right size and pitch for the Rotax engine. A little finer and I may have achieved 5800 rpm, but that likely would cost me some cruise speed. I think 74-51 is a pretty good compromise.
A small correction on my previous post... Mine was likely the first Rotax-powered Highlander with a Prince Prop. (I believe there was a Jabiru-powered one first.)
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Dan,

Don't you think your Prince prop would work better with a bit more pitch?

I would think bringing down your rpm 100 rpm or so on climbout would make for even a better compromise toward cruise efficiency as unless you are doing serious mountaintop booney bashing the Highlander would still outperform pretty much anything else for STOL. Or at least that's how I see it.

Also, do we know how a big prop like the Catto or the Prince are going to affect our gearboxes?

Paul
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Paul,
I suppose it's possible, but I will wait to see what happens when it's on floats next summer to see how it performs then. I think I would rather go longer than have more pitch, but like you, I wonder what effect that may have on the gearbox over time. The longer props can put a lot more stress on the gearbox and I'm hoping Lonnie Prince and others are taking the Rotax gearbox specifications into account when they design these things. I'm a low-time pilot and this is my first airplane, so I'm watching to see what happens to Steve's plane and and a few others that regularly get more use than mine does. For now... I'm pretty happy with it! :D
Dan
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I agree if you're doing floats that prop might be better. And frankly, the prop performance you are getting is pretty astounding, so if you have to go thru the gearbox occasionally, it will probably be worth it :D
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Steve
What prop would you suggest for my superstol with 115hp 914? I talked to Lonnie and he wanted to know what top speed I wanted. I realize that I am limited to approx 100mph . I would like good takeoff but would like 90-100 top speed.
Thanks! Oren
PS Actually want 30ft takeoff and 110 mph :D
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Here are the speed and props that Lonnie gave me. Just not sure what one would give me best of both worlds. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks! Oren

You asked for increments of 5 mph sized propellers for 115 hp @ propeller rpm of 2386. 70 mph - 85" diameter 30" pitch, 75 - 84/33, 80 - 82/35, 85 - 82/37, 90 - 81/39,
95 - 81/42, 100 - 80/44, 105 - 79/46, 110 - 78/48, 115 - 78/50, 120 - 77-53, 125 - 76/55, 200 - 66/88, 300 - 61/132.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Giddy everyone. I just returned from America with a Prince 80x 38 to try on my SS. Steve and I talked several times and he felt that this would be the best option. Every time there is a change aircraft/horsepower etc will require a different prop. Steve has 110 HP which is different than my 100 ULS. A friend of Steve's tried the Prince on his 100 hp ULS Highlander and it climbed out heaps better and cruised a wee bit faster than his Kiev. It has been very windy so I hope to try it out in the next few days. I will report back as soon as I get some data
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

If you gave up a tiny bit at the bottom end, still close to Catto, what would you choose for the Prince prop for your 130 hp engine based on what you know so far?

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Alan I would go over that with Lonnie at Prince props. I have an 82–38 and I don't think you should go more than 82–39 on your engine so that you don't lug it at take off. If you pull the turbo motors below about 5600 RPM static then you are lugging them and that hurts them.

Return to “Just Aircraft”