Nose Gear

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Nose Gear

Post by Gary H »

Does anyone have that funny little wheel and all the stuff that goes on the front? (nose gear) Im looking to buy if you want to sell
509-989-0125
Will fly for food!!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Re: Nose Gear

Post by Johnny C! »

I always thought the little wheel
in the back looked funny! :D

I am still using the nose gear I have.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Gary, I have an Escapade nosewheel with main gear setup and bracket required for attachment to motor mount. (Fits Highlander or Escapade). You'll need mains and nosewheel with motor mount attach bracketry if you want to convert to a nosewheel, as if you dont replace mains at same time, the airplane will sit too nose-low.

I'd be open to an offer as I want to purchase a extreme gear for my next Highlander project, which is going to cost me about $1500 plus freight.

Paul
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

AV8RPS said:
I want to purchase extreme gear for my next Highlander project
AAAHAAA... We knew it!!! A few of us couldn't believe you would sell your Highlander... but this explains it... BUILD FEVER hits again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan
Highlander 241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Ok, ok, you're onto me :lol:

Yes, I have another Highlander I'm going to do. Because I like to fly amphibs, I'd like to see if I can build one even lighter than my current one (at 680 lbs). That might be wishful thinking, but I'm going to try. And it's not that I need it lighter as a Highlander even much heavier still works, but they are just that much better if lighter. Cosmetically my new plane will probably look a lot like my old plane. I really like the color combination on N245H as it makes for a really good looking airplane.

And for anyone wondering, my next one is not a Super Stol. While I really like the Super Stol, for my needs the regular Highlander does all I need it to do. And a Highlander generally can be built much lighter than a Super Stol, so in my opinion the Highlander will still make a better float plane than the Super Stol. But then again, that's just my opinion. And with the much larger wing area of the SS, maybe (?) one day someone will prove me wrong. In the meantime, I'm going to stick with what is proven.

Paul
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Hi Paul
what you thinking for price?
Will fly for food!!
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Gary H wrote:Hi Paul
what you thinking for price?
Gary,

It is a used gear, and shows use so to make it nice it should be repainted. Also, it is from an Escapade so I think (?) it has smaller axles than the standard Highlander gear. Tires are worn but usable. I say all that to let you know it's overall condition.

I'll sell the nosewheel and the mains for $1200, plus freight, which is less than half of what they would be new from Just. And if you need the brakes and wheels and tires that go with the smaller axles, I'll throw them in for an additional $300. That ironically gets me to the $1500 I need to buy the bare Extreme gear for my project :wink:

If you decide you're not interested, no big deal. I really hadn't planned on getting rid of the nosegear set up as I thought it might be good to offer that option when I sell one of my Highlanders. But if it helps you out I'll let it go.

Paul
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Okay, I'll think about that real hard. I wouldn't need the brakes are wheels I already have them. I have a little Ridgef runner
I'm going to put this on. I'm building a Carbon Cub right now so my full focus is on that. I'll get back to you in a couple days, Thanks
Will fly for food!!
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Paul
Give me a call. 509-989-0125
Will fly for food!!
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

Has there been any thoughts on a bigger tail for the nose gear airplane? I find that I run out of elevator in landing so there is not much finesse in putting one down. When the mains touch it's pretty much over.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Hi Mark,

Try putting some gap seal between your elevator and your horizontal stabilizer. It can make an amazing difference in controllability at slow speeds. Also, you could add some vgs to the bottom of the stabilizer, but if you buy a kit you may as well also do them on the wings. I think you'd like them.

Are you enjoying that Highlander otherwise?

Paul
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

This is an amazing airplane. I have over 8000 hours in various types and I really think that this Highlander is the most fun of anything I've ever flown. I'll try the gap seal and see how that helps. I'm a believer in the Rotax; this is my first experience. Howard built a good airplane and although it's not mine, I've put close to 50 hours on it this year. It is extremely more tame in the nosewheel configuration and it will mint a new Sport pilot within the next two months. I've been away from this forum for a while so I thought I'd catch back up. Who knows... I may just build me one some day!
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Paul
I got the gear, you better call me.
Gary
Will fly for food!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”