Super STOL Build Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
cray13071

Re: Super STOL Build Pics

Post by cray13071 »

Troy,

I don't think you told everyone you posted a vid of your beauty taxiing yet.

Looks Great! Looking forward to that first flight!

Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

It was a fun day taking it for its first "Drive" :lol: Right now I am just waiting for the Data plate to come in from the MDRA and then I bring my paperwork in to Transport Canada to get the C of R. You can't get the final inspection until you have it. The plane is ready for final, all paperwork is done and ready other than the Data plate. Rumour has it that I need a leak test of the static system before inspection too, waiting for confirmation.

The only thing the plane really needs is adding pressure to the shock. Factory says they should be at 330psi plus/minus. I am just rigging up a nitrogen bottle and regulator to add pressure. Not sure if this is going to be a regular thing. I almost hope so as its a lot of stuff to buy and only use once. My suggestion is check your shocks now before you install and bring them somewhere to add pressure now so you don't have to get rigged up for it. Then again if the pressure drops after you are flying, you will have to get set up anyway. Not sure how it has been for others flying.

Likely a few weeks from first flight until all paperwork is in hand. Glad I have the Ten to fly to satisfy my flying addiction :mrgreen:
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Just note that the W and B file sent with the SuperSTOL CD is not correct. The range is 12.5 to 19 and the arms are totally different. Use the POH file for the correct numbers. My empty is sitting at 12.3 and within range when I am in it. It keeps moving aft as I add fuel and luggage.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

If you wanted to use a fuse block I would mount it to the inside of the panel with slots in the panel to be able to replace the fuse in flight. I only use fuse blocks for none flight effecting instruments, but this way you can still do something while airborne.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Troy
Would you have any pictures of your Magnetometer location?
Thanks! Oren
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

If you watch the video of the wing construction I talk about it there.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey Troy can you tell me more about why you put the static ports where you did we are trying to figure out at the factory where is the best place for a system to be installed. Thanks. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

jak wrote:Hey Troy can you tell me more about why you put the static ports where you did we are trying to figure out at the factory where is the best place for a system to be installed. Thanks. Jak
I placed them just behind the luggage for easy access and just below the longeron to help keep the rain out. The RV's have them located in a similar place so that was the other reason for choosing that location. I did a 4 turn speed GPS run to confirm airspeed calibration and it was perfect. You need the static source outside the cabin if you want a reliable steady airspeed and altimeter reading. A simple tee in the cabin with a plug for Alternate air can be done if you choose to do so.

Thanks
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Familyflyer wrote:I am going with the 914.

Here is the skylight fitted and finished. I used 3/16 holes, I hope it works well for expansion and does not move around too much. I did the same on the windshield per Steve's instructions. A large hole is a good idea.

Here is how the transition from the windshield to the skylight looks. Steve has done a great job forming the glass. Its a no brainer way to go. I also used 090 for the skylight and bent the close out plate for a tight fit.

I closed off the sides of the seats to allow for fabric. You will notice the required slot for the rudder cable to run through bottom plate.

Here is the front spar attachement. You can see how the rib attached and the front closure plate works. There needs to be a hole above and below the pin for pin removal.

Here is the aft spar attachment. You are also seeing the close out fairing I built for the trailing edge. I still need to put a hole in the texan for bolt removal.

Any idea why a bunch of pics on this thread are gone??

To Continue....

Return to “Just Aircraft”