Highlander in Thailand

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander in Thailand

Post by HS-JAT »

Thanks John. Good scenery and airplanes go hand in hand. Looking forward to see some of your pics from NZ!
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

It has been a while since I posted any pics, but I have not had much time for flying this year unfortunately. Here are some pics from October

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYYYKvBvHi0

Good view of the Outcast Tailwheel in action
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Thanks for updating us. I love the scenery! Awesome pics and videos.

Paul
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Thanks for sharing Pete. Some great shots and videos there. Cheers John
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

It has been a busy year so not much opportunity to fly, but It is the winter/good flying weather here in Thailand now. Looking forward to some flying.

Have a new video up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFGfb33FQ-U (Ya I know that POS Tucan exhaust rivet is loose in the video)

Few changes to the plane this year.

Ditched the big tires and went to the 21" Tundras. Big improvement on ground handling (Solid), Lower static angle of attack makes landing a lot better, Vast climb improvement, and 5-10kt speed increase

Installed some CIBIE Daytime Running lights. Hooked up to the Nav Lights. These are slim "Good to be seen" lights, and also provide some light for taxi and landing if needed. Night VFR not allowed here. http://www.ozautoelectrics.com/led-runn ... white.html

Added a Facet fuel pump to the firewall

Covered the landing gear.

Added some extra vent holes to the cowling. Much too hot in Thailand for those two tiny intake holes.

Next year looking forward to a Whirlwind Prop, New Exhaust, and possibly Rage Suspension system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I like this video a lot. Finally got to see some of your beautiful country. The glare from the sun was a little disappointing but still a lot of fun. How much of area have you been able to fly over so far? Are you able to cross boarders? Can you get to some of the islands? Seems like your area of the world has some pretty awesome places you can reach if you can cross boarders. I wish the whole world was open to GA. It's sad how much is off limits or so difficult to get permission to fly over. It's so sad that the world can't get along better. There are so many beautiful places to see and so little time! Joe B
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I love the new video. What beautiful scenery. Reminds me a little of northern Wisconsin sans some mountains (And the Highlander's not bad either 8) )

I'm curious how much speed you gained by covering the landing gear? I know you said the smaller tires gained you 5 to 10 knots, but it sounds like the gear covering came later.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Joe,
It is a pretty big deal to cross a border here as a GA guy. Besides the fact that Laos is Communist, Burma is backwards, Cambodia is emerging, etc,etc, it actually takes permission from the Thai DCA (FAA). Can be done, but takes effort. Having to deal with the DCA for an annual Pilot License and Annual C of A is enough dealing with them I want to do.

However at the end of the day I can pretty much fly where and when I want, which is the goal. There is a lot of leeway on some things, and there is no such thing as noise complaints here. The police would just laugh at you.

I have been to the island of Koh Chang before, which is near the cambodian border. I now have a hard wire to the gopro, so no bat issues. I plan to go again in Jan and get some good video.

As for speed in covering the gear. I can't really say as I did not fly enough with the small tires and naked landing gear.'

Return to “Just Aircraft”