flap return springs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: flap return springs

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Oh yeah, all the bushings we just use whatever's standard.5
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

BTW; Are you still deployed or back home?
Don't hesitate to let me know and stop in and I'll treat you to some PacNW flying if you like.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I got back in November. I looked and cannot find SS washers (AN970 size). The bolts and nuts are no problem. Thanks for the invite, if I make it out to the other coast I'll take you up on it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Excellent, we have SS washers.
Maybe let me know when u have rudder springs or other products ready and I can pay and get all shipped in one go....
carpat
Forum Regular

Post by carpat »

Hi all,
Just back from the airport to install the flap return springs. Easy installation, this product is great! Made a 1.5 hrs flight and worked flawlessly.
Thank you very much Dan.
Pat
C-FABO
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Hi Dane,

Just installed your flap return spring kit today. They were very easy to install with excellent instructions. I left the original springs in place as they didn't seem to interfere with the new springs in any way. I haven't flown with them yet but anticipate no problems. Now I just have to remember to park outside with the wind on the tail to test them out. I think they'll be quite satisfactory.

On the subject of the rudder return springs you are working on, I installed an eye bolt in the firewall when building the airplane and attached a small bungee cord to it and each outside rudder pedal. This works well to bring the pedals forward when parked, something I noticed as an irritant with the Escapade demonstrator before and after my test flight years ago. I'm sure you will come up with something much better and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thank you for the spring set,

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks,

I am still anxiously awaiting more feedback from anybody who has bought and installed the flap spring kit. My first run (15 kits) is now sold out, and I would like to see a few fly for a little while with JUST my springs before making any more, just in case I need to modify and/or replace any.

As for the rudder springs, I have been really busy with work/family lately, but I have most of the materials and just need some time to work through it. I'll update when I get something together.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

Dane

Just installed your flap return springs. Love them. I like the solid feel they give. I only used them on one flight and I did have them jump from the second notch to the first twice. However I must say that I have not removed the stock one yet which I probably will if it continues like that. It didn't create any excitement over it. This has got to be one of the most inexpensive mods with one of the most significant differences you can get. I'm waiting to see what your fix is for the rudder cable slop . I have my own very clunky one but there has to be a better one.

This was the first flight after some down time to take care of some needed items: Three new tires, new brake pads, new fuel pump, cabin heat checked (those two Tocan muffs will melt the shine off your shoes without a defuser of some kind) and installation of a Piper type external power plug.

Here's a few pictures. I had to show our yearly allotment of clouds in the desert. 1.38 of rain this year. 6500 feet, 5100 RPM, 35 degrees, 115 MPH northbound, 92 MPH southbound.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

RUDDER RETURN SPRINGS. Dane, I would like to see what you have going as far as rudder return springs.
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I'm working on it, the issue is making something that will work on ANY highlander, not just mine. The simple solution is very dependant on parts fit and installation tolerances, but I think I am close to a fairly simple solution that would be more or less universal. I'll keep you posted.

Also, I am going to put another 10 or so sets together in the next couple of weeks, there are a couple who have contacted me, and I have been swamped at work so I apologize for the slow progress, but they are coming!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

danerazz wrote:... I am going to put another 10 or so sets together in the next couple of weeks ...
Count me in for a set of them. What's the shipped cost on the new batch?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

They will be the same, $22 if by check, $25 if by PayPal.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

danerazz wrote:They will be the same, $22 if by check, $25 if by PayPal.
I'd like to order a pair for flaps too please. Thanks
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

For those wanting flap springs, do you want nylon locknuts, or castle nuts for cotter pin safety?

It will need to be a general concensus, I will order a bunch, but don't want to order a bunch of different ones. All previous kits were nylon locknuts.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

I'll go with the majority, either way OK for me. Thank you

Return to “Just Aircraft”