Another SuperSTOL takes to the air!!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Another SuperSTOL takes to the air!!

Post by Familyflyer »

I finally got the flight authority for the Superstol yesterday. It's a long storey, but lets just say our Canadian government needs to keep inspectors current instead of having them all out of currency for 6 weeks at the same time! Brutal.

I had done several taxi test with the tail up so I knew how it handled on the ground. I made three hopes to confirm the flight characteristic of about 10 ft up. After that it was time to go. The Catto pulls hard and it is airborne very quickly. Cruise at 5200 was 82mph and 5500 was 90mph. I thought that was fine for me with the supper quick acceleration. The turbo sure makes it pull when it kicks in! I was happy to see a plane that flew straight and level with my feet on the floor and hands off the stick. Elevator was out of trim by about 1" on the leading edge at 80 mph, so not bad. I did not find it cruised nose high with the flaps off. The wing looked perfectly level with the horizon.

Flaps handle seems to be my only issue. It will not let me get the full flaps out. The push tube jams from pulling so hard because of it flexing. I assume some amount below 45mph it will work but it did not at that speed. Help on this would be great.

The feel of the plane is quite different. I would call it mushy floaty :D Control is light through full motion and does not get heavier the farther out you go. This is the aileron design with the drooping lower edge doing that. Do I like that, don't know yet. It is not twitchy like the Avid which I am very happy about. The Rv's are so solid so it is quite a change. Once I can get the flap issue figured I will really start to explore the flying of this plane.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Jack L
Veteran Member

Re: Another SuperSTOL takes to the air!!

Post by Jack L »

Congratulations Troy! Have fun and try to stay warm.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Congratulations Troy! And thanks for all your posts while building.
Super Stol Kit #299
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Congratulations Troy!
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Do you have a 82x41 cato prop?
What is you static rpm?
Trying to figure out the best prop for mine.Looking at Cato and Prince.
Thanks! Oren
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I thought it was an 84x41 but it may be 82. It's definately 41 on the pitch. I did not do a static, but I can and I will let you know. I get just under 5800 on the takeoff so it seams perfect, confirmed thanks to be able to down load the data. There is no time to look down :lol:
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Congrats!

What a thrill!

Be safe!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Troy,
Congrats of the first flight. Have fun and be safe.

Gary
Pingert

Post by Pingert »

:Looks great I bet you going to have a lot fun ,I am building A highlander would like to communicate on your building of your plane
My name is Rick Pingert live at PONOKA alberta
Cell 1-403-783-1450
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Congratulations Troy from New Zealand. Those are excellent numbers with the Catto. With all of the cleanup measures and Catto prop I have done with my airplane (flap seals, gear etc) I could only get 69 knots or 79 mph. With the 80 x 38 Price I am getting 79 knots or 90 mph. Once the dust settles it would be interesting to hear if you could fly some GPS grids and get a solid ground speeds. Nice looking airplane !
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Pingert wrote::Looks great I bet you going to have a lot fun ,I am building A highlander would like to communicate on your building of your plane
My name is Rick Pingert live at PONOKA alberta
Rick, you're pretty close to another SS builder in Rocky Mountain House, AB. Rodger Rinker goes by "R Rinker" here on the forum.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I did a "speed" run today in the calm air.

4500ft temp -7c, Catto 82x41.

This was done on a 4 direction gps log. My true airspeed is bang on too.

5475 88mph 27inches

5150 82mph 25.8 inches

Other findings.

Slats pop out at about 45mph and go back in just over 50mph indiated. It a fairly significant AOA when they pop out. I feal an AOA would be usless as you are eyes out the window feeling the decent and the airplane is it own AOA anyway. You fly it like no other airplane, it doesn't stall. You slow it until it will not go any slower, thats it. It gets more pitch sensitive with more flaps.

Just need to get use to hauling the nose up on take off to keep the speed back and making it easier to get the flaps off. The 914 needs to point you to the nose to the sky or it will red line the engine.

I think 43 on the prop would be the best all around on the Catto. There is just so much unused power. The short field is great with the 41 though, and you go up at an crazy angle if you keep the power in and climb steep enough to keep the engine loaded to not over rev.

It's light all around and a handfull in the bumps as expected. Its a joy to fly in smooth air though.

Flying and learning.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Great post Troy! Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to find out just how much difference there is in the performance of the different engines in these airplanes as more people take to the air. As you said there is unused power available that you don't seem to absorb with your particular prop, it shows the sensitivity of the prop/engine combination for a given airframe. I think with every new combination tried, the group gets more zeroed in on which props are going to be popular, and which may not be so much. Unfortunately, it costs individuals roughly $2000 every time it gets closer. ;)

Now, Troy. I think its time you changed your Avatar on this forum. The RV10 was understandable while you were building your SS, but I think we can all agree, its no longer appropriate...
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Ok Ben, Avatar is changed! Boy you know how to make a guy feel guilty! :lol:

Just a note regarding the Macfarlane springs. The new ones that got sent broke within 2 flight hours. I now have the original ones sent on the plane and they have been solid for 10 hrs. I check them after each flight. They have sent new ones out again, version 3. So the version 2 spring with the purple line is garbage. Don't use them.

The only other items that came up so far was having to trim more of the slats our for clearance and knotching the teeth more on the flap handle. (Basically raising the top knotch to give more of a chance for the bolt to engage) The factory has new handles that they are sending out that is suppose to work better. Right now they work, but getting full flaps on is a bit troublesome. You really have to wiggle and pull out on the knob to confirm they are fully engaged. Slipping out on short final adds to the excitment though :D

Cold temps seam to reduce the shock pressure so be ready to experiment. It's looking like I will need to add pressure to the tailwheel shock too.

The plane has been solid and reliable so far.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Troy, I can't remember. Did you install flap gap seals?
Super Stol Kit #299
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

No I did not. I don't think I will either. I plan to fair the shocks and that will likely be it. I have heard mixed opinions on them. I may do it one day if I get bored.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube

Return to “Just Aircraft”