Rib lacing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Rib lacing

Post by Familyflyer »

Has anyone rib laced their elevator and horizontal stab? Is there any good reason why I shouldn't? I have rib laced before and do not mind the extra work.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Rib lacing

Post by danerazz »

Don't know about the SS, but on the standard HL the "ribs" on the stab/elevator are smaller than the leading/trailing edge tubes, so if you lace them it will "pinch" the fabric at the stitches. Th SS may be different, in which case I don't see why it would be a problem.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

I rib laced the elevator and horizontal stabilizers. As mentioned before just make sure you aren't pulling too hard on the cord otherwise you will pinch the fabric.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I plan to rib lace them as well. With the 1500# gross weight of the SuperSToL I think it is a good idea.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

After I changed the shape of the bottom of my rudder, I haven't been happy with the repair job I did. The fabric is not as taut as the rest of the control surfaces. I'm going to re-cover ~1' of the lower section of the rudder and tie it into the existing fabric.

I'm thinking it might be best to rib lace the connection of old fabric to new fabric. I've got lacing thread somewhere in the hangar, can someone post a picture of the technique and knot that you used?

thanks, Gary
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I would consider re-covering the whole rudder. You will avoid the visual issues with the repair, and you have to mix a little paint anyway, so just painting the rest of the rudder shouldn't be too much more work.

If you really want to stitch in a new repair, see AC 43.13-1B, page 2-38.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Familyflyer wrote:I plan to rib lace them as well. With the 1500# gross weight of the SuperSToL I think it is a good idea.
Troy:

Would you mind elaborating on exactly why you are considering rib lacing? Just about to start the process and out gathering info.

That said, maybe "Covergirl" will chime in here. Watched her do some covering a couple of weeks ago at the factory and didn't notice any sort of rib lacing at all.............and believe me, she is covering a whole bunch of SuperStol products right now. Plus, doing very clean and neat work!

Thanks.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

For me it all about doing the best I can and making the plane the safest it can be. Rib lacing is just one of those things. Rib lacing is just the normal thing to do for all other aircraft like cubs, taylorcraft, champs and so on. Why not LSA like the Highlander, Kitfox and so on. I know the plane is very slow, but I do not think it is right to just say it does not need it. If it doesn't need it, why is it standard practice in most other fabric aircraft? It's cheap and not a lot of work to know that the fabric is attached as good as it possible can be. Unfortunatelty the rudder is not really design to rib lace with the drastic tube size change, but the elevators and horizontal stab will lace just fine.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Thanks for the thoughts, Troy.

Please post some progress pics of the stitching process, if you have the time. The little bit of experience I've had with rib stitching has been with flat wing ribs, etc. Not sure how you would lace a flat, tight fabric against a round tube, without a pinch. A little looseness doesn't sound quite right.

Probably done all the time. Need to go find a Cub or Husky on the airport and take a closer look!

Thanks again.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
covergirl

Post by covergirl »

At the factory only glue secures the fabric to the tail surfaces. It all comes down to personal preference.

Leila B
bizkid

Post by bizkid »

Well i know this is an old treat but, what did you Superstol builders end up with, did you rib lace your horizontal/vertical stabilizers, and elevator/rudder.
I am just about to finish covering mine, and are still in doubt, is it enough with what the factory does, just clue ??

René
SuperStol Kit #338,
With 29" Alaska Airstreaks
And Rotax 912uls, Kiev Prop.
OY-REP (Reserved)

Return to “Just Aircraft”