4Sale: 5 gal header tank

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BRS
Forum Regular

4Sale: 5 gal header tank

Post by BRS »

I've switched out my header tank and am selling this nice 5 gal tank. Turns out that 35 gallons is way more fuel than my missions demand.
$310 plus shipping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kskraut

Re: 4Sale: 5 gal header tank

Post by kskraut »

Hey BRS I'd be interested in speaking with you regarding the header tank if it is still available. Perhaps phone or email.
Thanks
Al
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

What is the wall thickness? How much does it weigh?
Super Stol Kit #299
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

I'll try to remember to weigh it tomorrow. As for thickness, you will have to ask Steve Henry as he built it.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

BRS, did you ever weight that tank?
Super Stol Kit #299
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

kenryan wrote:BRS, did you ever weight that tank?
4.7 lbs minus fuel and fittings.

Tank has been sold.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

I'm interested in a description of the plumbing & etc. on that tank...might learn something...
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

R Rinker wrote:I'm interested in a description of the plumbing & etc. on that tank...might learn something...
Hopefully Steve can confirm, but I'll take a stab at it.

Bottom rear is a drain sump that is plumbed (metal line) to standard drain location.

Bottom front has tank outlet (metal line), and bottom of sight gauge (plastic).

Top of tank, left to right: vent line, top of sight gauge, return fuel line, tee for inlet from both tanks.

At least that's my guess.
Super Stol Kit #299
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

Well, if I were to reinstall the tank (won't/can't cause it's long mailed off to the new owner) I'd do it a bit differently.
Perhaps this will help the new owner decide how he wants to do it.

Top four holes (btw-there is plenty of room up there to drill more) left to right looking at the picture posted...
most left - 90˚ fitting to go to the sight gauge. Notice it would fit close to the tank and under the airframe.
2nd from left - 45˚ hose barb to passenger side wing tank
3rd from left - 45˚ 1/4" hose barb Vent to passenger side tank.
most right - 45˚ hose barb to pilot side wing tank

Lower front two holes...
Upper of the two - I'd put a T fitting here (1/8" NPT to tank, 1/4" hose barb up to sight gauge, 5/16" hose barb forward to return line from regulator.
Lower of the two - Fuel supply to gascolator then to electric pump(s)

Lastly: In the back on the bottom (looks like a tuna can). This is the low point and goes to the drain.

Notes:
-In both of the hose barbs install a plug drilled with an 1/16" or smaller hole. I used a 1/4 aluminum bar stock on my current tank. This is to limit the amount of fuel that can come out of the clear line in case it gets severed.
-Use a check valve in your return line so you can keep fuel from going the wrong way during maintenance or severed line. Remember, there is no shut off valve on this line.
-Whether you use rubber or metal, use one piece all the way from end to end. Don't use metal tubing then 15 inches later slip a rubber hose on it. Whats the point? It creates another connection. But if you do this anyway, be sure to use two hose clamps as there are no barbs. Even with two hose clamps, if the hose was hard to get on and any kind of oil was used, the it can be pulled off by hand even after both clamps are tight.
-I believe the vent to wing tank is redundant if the two wing tanks come in at separate points. But if the come together in a T first (as in the picture) then the vent line is needed.
-The return from the fuel pump does not need to dump into the top of the header tank. It will mix, cool, loose it's air bubbles just fine even if just next to the fuel supply.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Ken I think that sounds about right, although I usually have five threaded holes at the top so I do not have to use any tees. One other little detail that I learned the hard way is that it is a very good idea to put a fuel filter between your header tank and your sump drain on the bottom of the airplane. Little particles of anything that was in your fuel tanks can get on that O-ring in the drain valve and it will just sit there and leak.
I actually have a 7 gallon header tank in my SuperSTOL that I like a lot, especially when going on long trips such as to Alaska.
Brock I know it looks untidy having the sight tube go on the outside of that chromoly frame tube, but the reason I do that so that you never wonder if that is where the level is hiding behind that frame tube.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

...and the electronic thing where the tank lines tee in??
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

...looks like an in-related connector for a magnetometer or something.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

R Rinker wrote:...and the electronic thing where the tank lines tee in??
Ha, that's the GPS antenna connector. So I know at all times where the header-tank is located (and the rest of the aircraft as well). I never properly tied it up as it's getting moved eventually.

Return to “Just Aircraft”