First Higlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

First Higlander

Post by alan »

This is probably a Jak question.

What was the first Highlander S/N?

Also, since I'm asking, can the highlander be built from plans for those with the welding skills but not the cash for a kit? I know a welder that has asked.

Thanks,

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Gil T
Veteran Member

Re: First Higlander

Post by Gil T »

IMG_1969 (1024x768).jpg
Alan

This might help a little bit. I ordered an Escapade (S/N JAESC0028) on 10-13-03. I believe Troy asked me if I wanted the longer wings and I said sure, why not. Picked up our Escapade on 1-18- 04 with the longer wings and Escapade tail. Passing through Caldwell in July 2004 I seen the square tail and asked if this was what was for the new Highlander and he said yes take it with you. When we got back home in Arizona I removed the Escapade tail which was completely installed and put the square tail on. Of course the Highlander tail had red power coat on and the rest was white but it all fits. Our airplane is registered as an Escapade. The only difference is our wing struts are attached 18" closer in than the Highlander struts. I didn't even know that until I met Troys dad out in the desert a couple years ago and he noticed it right away. Of course he's put together a few of them. I've been paling around with Tri-lander Ted for a few years and neither of us noticed it. Duh! By the way I like the way my struts are put together better than the Highlanders.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I think Gil is onto something here I don't know what the first official highlander number Is, when the highlander wings and tail feathers were first made the planes , were still called and registered as escapades, with highlander upgrades. I don't think at that it would have been noticed when the official highlander 1st plane was. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I think Gil is onto something here I don't know what the first official highlander number Is, when the highlander wings and tail feathers were first made the planes , were still called and registered as escapades, with highlander upgrades. I don't think at that it would have been noticed when the official highlander 1st plane was. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Screech

Post by Screech »

Gill, I purchased my Highlander 1 year ago last August. What I found was that Sam Peachy built it as a Escapade in 2004 , serial # JAESC 0013 and converted it into a Highlander later. The struts are the same as yours. Billy Payne is who I bought it from in NC claims that with the long wing and short strut, flys a little differently than with the longer struts.
Coming from a Maule and not having flown another Highlander I can't say except I'm having a good time with it.
Screech
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Thanks for the replies. We bought our Highlander kit in the summer of 2005. It's s/n is 0087. I know Steve Henry built one earlier. Just trying to pin down the history. :-)

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Return to “Just Aircraft”