Paint on drag tubes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Bay State Flatlander
Forum Regular

Paint on drag tubes

Post by Bay State Flatlander »

I was preparing the spar and drag tubes for hysoling the gussets in place. After sanding with 320 grit to "key" the surfaces I wiped down the areas with Acetone. Much to my surprise , what I thought was gray powder coat wiped off with the Acetone. There is white underneath which I am assuming is powder coat. I figured I scuffed the area enough so the hysol has a mechanical grip so I went ahead and glued in the gussets on one wing. Any thoughts on this?

Highlander kit 331
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Paint on drag tubes

Post by danerazz »

I have the factory "quick-build" wings and they do not have any paint over the powder coat on the drag tubes. If it is powder coating under the paint, the. Yes, just a good scuffing and alcohol/acetone wipe and bond them in. The factory did not remove the powder coat prior to gluing the gussets in. I had to remove a gusset to fix some shipping damage and it took a lot of heat to get the hysol to let go. I then cleaned the area and just glued the gusset back in place, rock solid.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”