Flap to Turtledeck close out

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Flap to Turtledeck close out

Post by gkremers »

Jack,
I tried to find some of the pictures that illustrate how a fabricated the closeout pieces. The design was pretty much copied from Rick and Carl. The top has 4 #6 button head machine screws going into nutplates on the turtleneck. I also have it picking up the corner screw holding down the upper lexan. There are 2 additional screws on the bottom. It does take an additional couple of minutes to remove the turtleneck. Let me know if you have any questions.
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0897.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
IMG_0900.jpg
IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg
IMG_1659.jpg
Gary
N325AB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Flap to Turtledeck close out

Post by danerazz »

Great pictures, thanks for the write-up.

On a side note, I see you did not install the windows in the doors. Do you ever wish you had them? It looks like you drilled the holes and changed your mind, I have already put the hinges on but am considering removing them.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Thanks Gary, very nice work, I will buy some cardboard and make a template. I don't have a brake but should get by using metal angle and my vise.

Dane, if I had my time back I would never have installed the windows and with the cold weather you get in Bangor I really do not recommend them. They allow too much air into the cockpit, I recently riveted the window shut and sealed it with weather stripping. Next winter I plan on making new doors similar to the ones that Scottie B and Sheepdog made.

Jack
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks Jack, I am leaning more towards no windows every time I think about it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Good eye Dane,
I had the windows installed and then decided against them. In the summer I just open the doors while taxiing. The doors are by far the weakest part of the design. Next winter I plan on fabricating new ones, combination of the existing door frame and fiberglass. I've got some ideas that should produce a much nicer, weather tight design.

Gary
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

I removed the window frames from the doors.

Attached a small L shaped piece of aluminum to the inner top of the door frame, and just rivited the window lexan to the rest of the door frame.

Those windows were useless, and just more pieces to rattle around.

Also added a small lexan piece to the forward edge of the door to reduce the gap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Thanks, good design and excellent craftsmanship.

I've been trying to put a rib on the inside, up against the turtle deck, and use that as the attach point. The angles are too complicated that way. Attaching to the top of the TD makes more sense.

I concur on the no-window decision. I've got them installed but I never open them. I'll close them off sometime this spring.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Guys, what window are you talking about. The one in the door frame or the one behind the door. If you are talking about the door I didn't realize that there was on operating window in the door. I agree, the door could be improved significantly. I copied some photos that were posted on the RANS site detailing modifications that were made to an S7 door. They squared off the entire frame creating a proper jamb for the door with overlaping seals that closed everything off quite nicely and was flush on the outside. Clean, streamlined, and functional. Not sure what the weight gaine was but it looked like a proper door. I don't beblieve that the S7 door has the bow in it that the Highlander does but I have thought a lot about it and drawn up some sketches of how I would like to try when I build my Highlander. Great photos of the closure plates. Cleans it up very nicely. Much like Troy's SS. Both are elegant solutions. Joe B
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I open my windows practically all summer long. I would miss them terribly if I didn't have them.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I made fairings like Gary did and riveted them to the turtle deck, but I also installed an upside-down "L" shaped bracket to the root rib on the wing and installed a single clecoe that holds the fairing to the wing. It looks pretty much the same, but only takes an additional 5 seconds to remove or install the turtle deck.
Fairings.jpg
I did my bottom closures in aluminum and added diamond checker plate patterned mylar to match the fire truck theme...
DSC_2526 smaller.jpg
Dan
Highlander #241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Great ideas!

Beautiful planes.

I am going to fill that gap
in next.

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dan,
Very nice work... You did such a nice job on all the little details.

Gary
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

It does not get hotter than Thailand in most places. I get PLENTY of airflow with the doors closed and having these circular vents open.

Return to “Just Aircraft”