SuperSTOL Flap Handle

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Re: SuperSTOL Flap Handle

Post by User GDS »

For any of you guys who haven't seen this flap handle problem, here is a 40 sec video of my flying partner Rusty. He's got a little too much airspeed to engage the last notch, when it does engage, it holds for a couple of seconds then pops out.

https://vimeo.com/119683501#t=0s
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I did all items you guys noted and it worked great on the ground. When it is loaded up it is a totally different thing. It would jump from full flap to no flaps on short final. Not safe. Replacing the spring to a stiffer one has 100% solved it for me. It now engages with a solid thug at every notch. I have many landing and they have all been trouble free. Get the strongest spring that you can still push the nob/sleeve in with your thumb. Also notch the top slot a little higher to give the bolt more time to engage when you pull all the way up and let it down to engage.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

I am at the stage of setting my flaps etc up and note with interest these comments. Steve, you have flap extensions and therefore greater loads? Clearly you have got your system sorted by the sound of it.
How much difference does the extensions make and I assume you will be operating max flap at quite low speed.
Do you have any pictures of your flap mechanism changes and how much extension did you add to the flaps themselves and was it worth it?
Lots of questions...........!
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Troy, you mean widen the opening of the top notch (at the top clearly) to allow a better entry into the last stage of flap.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Allen the extensions that I sometimes have on my flaps make it much harder to pull the handle. I do not recommend them. I will probably only be using them when I'm in a STOL contest. If I am not really light and going very slow they are just obnoxious. I even broke my flap handle in two with them once.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Allan wrote:Troy, you mean widen the opening of the top notch (at the top clearly) to allow a better entry into the last stage of flap.
I just made the top of the main slot higher.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve, yep already decided that I did not need to do that and thanks for the feed back.
Troy, thanks, starting the flap setup right now.
Allan
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Troy,

Can you post a picture of the front pulley locations. I only just got my flap catch plate as a back order item and it looks a little different to the manual setup. Done the othe mods/tidy but the front pulleys seem different compared to the forward plate tips.

Allan

Return to “Just Aircraft”