Separating wheels from Airstreaks

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Separating wheels from Airstreaks

Post by kenryan »

I'm trying to get my Matco wheels out of my 26" Airstreaks. Not having a lot of luck. Any suggestions?
Super Stol Kit #299
rkaufman

Re: Separating wheels from Airstreaks

Post by rkaufman »

I took mine off in Nov, had cords showing. It was a pain. I used a manual bead breaker a friend had and soapy water. Once I got one side moving the rest came easier.
I tried it without the bead breaker but didn't want to scratch my wheels up with tire irons, screwdrivers, etc...
I didn't realize they were that tight on the rims.

Good Luck,

Robert
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

I've done it twice. The second time was much easier using the following method. Deflate the tire and while standing on it, put the air cap back on to keep it from reinflating to ambient pressure. Use lots of soapy water as a lubricant. Find a long, 3 foot crow bar that you can use to pry the hub up, away from the tire. I put a flat tool, I think it was a wrench, between the claw and the tire to provide something firm for the claw to work against. Obviously, be careful not damage the hub as you slide the claw under the rim. I Gently tapped it in with a hammer. It's really a two man job because you'll need someone to stand on the tire as you work the crow bar around it. Eventually, it will free the hub. Unfortunately, even after one side was out, the other side wasnn't any easier. Wish i would have taken a picture. Hope this helps. Barry
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

I made this bead buster to assist:
bead-buster.jpg
Still wasn't easy, but with a lot of soapy water finally got them off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Super Stol Kit #299

Return to “Just Aircraft”