Location of headset jacks

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Location of headset jacks

Post by orenjr »

I would like to put my jacks in the center of the head rack. Would anyone have pictures and input to share?
Thanks! Oren
Allan
Seasoned Member

Re: Location of headset jacks

Post by Allan »

I am putting mine just behind the pilot and passenger shoulders on each side. Too many cables in the front and in the centre they would get in the way of baggage compartment access.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Allan,
The jacks behind the seats work really well at keeping the cords out of the way, just be careful not to pinch a cord when you are folding and unfolding the seats. :oops:
Dan
Headset Jacks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I put mine directly in front of each stick on the 45 deg surface. So far this has protected them from being kicked, even during Young Eagles flights. You can't see the plugs but if you know they are there plugging in is easy. Just start with the bigger plug and you're in business.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I'm curious about the headsets plugged in either behind the seats or in front of each stick. Do you use the hooks near the top of the windshield to hang the headsets when not in use? If so it would seem the cord running from behind the seat to that hook would be between the pilot/pax seat and the door and cause some entanglement when getting in and out of the plane. With plugs in front of the control sticks that would put the cords between the pilot/pax legs, again it would seem likely to cause some problems. How do you deal with the cords when getting in and out of the plane?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi John,
The easiest way to do it is to bring the cords up between the seat backs. If you have a bit of cargo to load or unload, unplugging makes access easier. If you don't want to unplug be careful not to let the cord drop down behind the seats too far, that is how I managed to pinch a headset wire a the seat hinge. Otherwise, I find this arrangement quite handy for keeping the cords completely out of the way when flying... and to me that's what counts. One idea I have been toying with is to simply add a piece of fabric behind the seats that would hang down over the hinges to keep the wires out of the way. I have also been looking at ways to route the wires along the door frame using a couple of small adhesive-backed hooks when the headsets are hanging up, but for now it works well up the centre.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I hang my headsets on the wing struts, keeps them out of the way when climbing in and out. In this picture you can see my Clarity Alofts hanging from the strut, with my other headsets, I turn them upside down and hang them in the same place.

I use the hooks by the windshield to hang my keys and video remote controls.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

John,

Yes I do hang my headsets from the overhead hooks. When climbing in and out it is simple to hold the wire next to the stick for the few seconds my foot is traveling through that area. During all aircraft operations the wire is perfectly placed for access to the ANR box but is out of the way otherwise. One of the really nice things about building your own airplane is the ability to customize it and this board is a great place to find options. :-)

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Thanks! everyone for the replies.
I seem to remember seeing a picture of the jacks in the center of the headrack between the seats.Can anyone help me with that location? Any pros or cons ?
Thanks! Oren
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I think the wires running up between the seats would be a very inconvenient. Every time the pilot looked to the right he would be staring at the wires. If you try to reach for something behind the seats you'll be tangled up with wires. My headset is ANC and has a battery box on the wire, that would end up dangling around between the seats as well. When I'm flying a plane that uses the front door to reach the back of the plane (like the Highlander) I prefer the lower left & right sides of the panel. The wire runs down between my left arm and my body then forward to the panel. The battery box can attach it to the left side of the fuselage next to the panel with some velcro. When I take my headset off, I set it up on the panel. It is out of the way and the wires cause minimal problems getting in and out of the plane. I've flow planes with the headset jacks behind the pilot's left shoulder but only on planes that did not use the pilots door to access the rear of the plane (Beavers and single Otters). Putting a hook for the headset below the jacks, behind the pilot is really the best spot but not if you have to reach around the wires to get in the back. That's also a good spot when flying floats, less chance of snagging the wires if you have to jump out of the plane in a hurry. Dropping your headset in the drink really sucks. I've only done it once, Knock Wood!

If I were considering putting the jacks overhead in the center, I would tape the wires in that position and sit in the airplane with the headset on and make airplane noise. That should give you a chance to move around, see where the wire falls and check for interference. I would also see where the wires end up when you put the headset in whatever position you think you will use when not wearing it. The wires may fall down to the rear of the seat and get caught/pinched under the seat back when your folding it forward and back.

Isn't it great that we can personalize our amateur built aircraft to suite our own needs. To each his own.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

IMG_0289 (480x640).jpg
It took me three tries to get them where I liked them. The first time on the dash didn't work, cable everywhere and too easy to hit getting in and out. The second time I mounted them behind me pointing forward just below the head rack next to the door, but passengers kept hitting and bending them. I have brackets welded in to attach the gas struts because I didn't like the way plans specified which turned out to be a handy place to attach a plate for the headphone jacks. Completely out of the way, I have Lightspeed Zulus and I can set the control unit on the space inboard of the fuel tanks. Out of the way but convenient to adjust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m thinking about getting a set of Clarity Headsets. Have you compared them to the Bose Headsets or the Lightspeed Zulu’s?
User GDS wrote:I hang my headsets on the wing struts, keeps them out of the way when climbing in and out. In this picture you can see my Clarity Alofts hanging from the strut, with my other headsets, I turn them upside down and hang them in the same place.

I use the hooks by the windshield to hang my keys and video remote controls.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I have used clarity aloft headsets for the last 10 years at work (600-800 hours per year). I like them a lot, as long as you don’t mind foam earplugs. Don’t be afraid to bend the metal headband when you first get them to get a comfortable fit. Also, there are several sizes of foam tips, try them all and pick the size that fits best. You need to squeeze them down and insert them well into your ear canal to be effective.

If you insert/remove them several times a day they can get slightly irritating (to your ears) but they are very quiet.

They do not interfere at all with glasses (or vise-versa) or most hats. No headset-hair.

I also used Bose X and A20s in the King Air in the Army, I definitely liked the A20s better than the X due to construction and comfort, and they are very good headsets. The convenience of the Claritys with respect to sunglasses, and they do not get hot on your head, and are extremely light, leads me to favor the CA headset over the Bose. Also, you can buy a clarity for a lot less than Bose (for the basic ones). The newer ones are much more durable (finally bought a second set after 8 years, much better durability). Don’t be afraid to replace the foam tips when they start to get dirty or begin to get stiff.

If I were to buy an ANR I would be looking at DC one-x, or maybe give Faros a try for much less invested.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I opted to put mine on the left and right side of the instrument panel, it keeps all of the headset wire up front, and out of the way.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A

Return to “Just Aircraft”