Time for Skis

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Re: Time for Skis

Post by Jack L »

Paul,

That is the last item on the list of upgrades I wanted to complete this winter. I have the aluminum and am waiting for some warm weather to spread the wings so I can leave the aircraft outdoors long enough to get it done. I am torn between just a flat panel riveted to the top of the Turtle Deck or an enclosed fairing that follows the profile of the wing and flap.... any suggestions?

Jack
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Jack,
I think you will be happier with something that matches the flap and Turtledeck profile. I copied the design from Rick, it took me about 6 hours including making the templates. I can send you some build pics this weekend when I'm back home if it helps.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Gary,

That would be appreciated, thank you.

Jack
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I would like to see the design, too, I've been wrestling with this for a couple of months.

thanks, Gary
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Jack L wrote:Paul,
That is the last item on the list of upgrades I wanted to complete this winter. I have the aluminum and am waiting for some warm weather to spread the wings so I can leave the aircraft outdoors long enough to get it done. I am torn between just a flat panel riveted to the top of the Turtle Deck or an enclosed fairing that follows the profile of the wing and flap.... any suggestions?

Jack
I'm not sure if there are any benefits aerodynamically for making a fancy form fitting piece vs a simple flat metal type. I've never seen one other than just flat metal, but I would like to see what Gary did on his, as even though it sounds like a lot more work, maybe its worth the effort to do it the same as his?
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

My flaps are a little higher than the wing surface, so even the flat metal design has been a problem. Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

A few pictures from Mo's Fly-in on the Ottawa river today. Mo started the fly-in 25 years ago for a few friends and it turned into this:
Mo's 1.JPG
Mo's 3.JPG
C-IBAD recently sold to Tim Udal in Maple Creek Saskatchewan. His uncle Gerald Udal a Medevac pilot left Belmont Lake Ontario two days ago on a 1400 NM journey operating in temperatures ranging from -27F to 17.6F. He just landed at his ranch SE of Maple Creek. Now that is an impressive demonstration of the Highlander's capabilities!
Gerald Udal.jpg
If you want to see his route on Google maps, he flew from Belmont Lake ON to Sudbury ON, Chapleau ON, Marathon ON, Atakokin ON, Kenora ON, Brandon MB, Weyburn SK and Maple Creek SK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I have to say the funniest thing there is all that snow and a plane on floats on the ramp.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Here is another video on skis from Mo's Fly-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MTkYRZoRt4
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Jack,
Looks like a really good turnout. Thanks for the video.

Gary
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Here is another video on skis from Mo's Fly-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MTkYRZoRt4
Good editing job on the video, smooth transitions. Hope there was some good hot grub when you got there.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232

Return to “Just Aircraft”