Doors anyone?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Doors anyone?

Post by scubarider2 »

So I just mounted the new 3-blade Sensenich 68in prop. I have ordered the new windshield from Steve. Next I REALLY want to do something about the doors. I want them to seal better. I have tried several things including putting a small L channel in front of the doors attached to the body of the plane. I am sure that it causes some drag and want to remove them and do something different with the actual doors. Anyone plan on making something better and selling the KIT?
Or any ideas? :?
Thanks,
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
jak
Veteran Member

Re: Doors anyone?

Post by jak »

Dennis call Scott at the factory and ask him about his doors. they seal good. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

Hey Dennis, Jak told me you were asking about a better way to seal your doors. Sheepdog and I spent a considerable amount of time working on that very issue while I was building my Highlander. It took a lot of work but the end result was well worth it! I have yet to see anyone's doors that seal as nicely as mine. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to post pictures and drawings with an explanation. The good news is that I spoke with Sheepdog today and he promised to pick up the ball and run with it. He is very good with this sort of thing, so watch for his post. Be forewarned - if you want a really nice seal don't expect to finish the job in one day. It'll take some time to get everything to fit right but we have definitely proved it can be done!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I will wait for the post here. Would love to see some pictures if somehow you can post them. If you can send the pictures to my email I can post here. Just a thought. I would be happy to spend the time needed to get them right. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Okay, Dennis... your wait is over. I've written up the doorseal systems in two posts on my build thread, starting here: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 934#p46932.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

Way to go Sheepdog! That was a very nice write up on sealing the doors. It is true that I have no operable windows and I have to say that I really don't miss them at all. I do have pop-out vents and if I need more air than that I just pull the hinge pins out and fly without my doors (which is actually WAY more comfortable than I expected!)
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Richard, WOW :shock: what a fantastic write up! Thank you for taking the time to do that. I am very much a visual learner so need lots of pictures to get the idea. I may be asking for some more photos if possible when I decide to tackle this project. Thanks again! :mrgreen:
Dennis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Thanks, Dennis.

I looked through my images, and -- except for the one I posted -- I guess I didn't take any pictures of Scot's N982LT while we worked on it. The next time I get out to the hangar, I'll take some close-up pictures of the finished product. I still have some formed parts left over from N7340Z. I'll rivet them together and post a picture.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Thanks Richard, that is going above and beyond. You ROCK! :mrgreen:
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”