Small mods

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
barry767
Seasoned Member

Small mods

Post by barry767 »

Thought I'd start a topic on small mods people have done to their Highlanders or Superstols to improve performance or functionality that we can all benefit from. Here are three I've done.

1) Added a washer to the end of the flap handle. As I select different flap settings, I can give the washer a little forward pressure with my thumb and index finger to positively lock the bolt into the notch. As a visual confirmation, if I can see the 1/8 inch red stripe I painted on the handle I know the bolt is fully seated. (Less than that or none, I know it is not seated and will likely pop out). Has worked perfectly so far.

2) Attached a red warning flag to the leading edge of the door than is visible when the door is open. I've got a Highlander on extreme gear with 29 inch Airstreaks that puts the forward bottom corner of the door EXACTLY at eye level. Knew it was only a matter of time before I walked right into it. Prior to closing the door I velcro the flag back out of view.

3) Used two strips of 2 inch wide 3M tape to make an elevator seal. Adheres to the underside of the horizontal stab and top of elevator. Don't know if adds any performance benefit but it has stayed on and looks pretty cool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Re: Small mods

Post by MarkZ »

Im going to try the gap seal in a nosewheel version and see if I get better pitch authority at slower speeds. Rotation and liftoff happen pretty much at the same time. Landings have little finesse to the point that my neighbors are lowering my scores. :oops:
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Also considering covering my extreme gear with with a removable fairing made of .025 6061T4. Lots of drag there too I'm told. Anyone done this?
I noodled over this for a long time, because of the size of the gear and dimensions of my material, there was a seam across the middle and I couldn't think of a clean way to attach it to the gear. Maybe an upside down U-shaped piece over the top of the gear leg that the cover hangs on? I ended up covering them with fabric...
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Gary, I was thinking of just wrapping the aluminum around the forward tube and securing the sides together by several screws along the trailing edge, aft of the aft tube. (a sideways U) Should be pretty simple to instal. Did you notice any airspeed benefit?
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I don't keep very detailed notes on performance, but it's definitely more efficient. I covered the gear and installed wing root close-outs at the same time and I think I got 5-6 mph. Not huge, but it was worth it because I didn't have to burn more fuel to get it.

The trouble with wrapping the gear legs forward to aft is that the pants will want to fall off of the legs. Might work OK if you also cut some strips of aluminum, bent them into a U shape and hung them upside down on the horizontal members at the top of the gear, like a saddle. Put some nut plates on the saddles and secure the sides so they won't fall down. If there were tabs welded onto the gear it would be a quick and easy job...

Covering the legs with fabric was cheap because I had everything in inventory, but took a lot of labor. Plus, had to remove them for painting. (removing the gear legs means disconnecting the brake lines, which I really don't like to do when they are working great and not leaking)
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

One more thing, let's go flying. Going to Parker AZ Thursday, CGZ Friday and Saturday for a classics fly-in. http://www.cactusflyin.org/wordpress/ There are some great places to explore around Parker, Wx is +++
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Thanks, Gary. I'll look at my schedule and give you a call on Tuesday.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

User GDS wrote:... and installed wing root close-outs at the same time...

GDS,
Do you mean the flap to fuse gap seals?

Also, I added a tapered trailing edge on
my gear legs prior to cover & paint. Just
a folded piece of the alum sheet & riveted
them to the rear tube. It all adds up.

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Here is my list that I generated a few
years ago. I have trike & want to
get as high a cruise speed as I can...

FYI

1) I streamlined the trailing edge of the mains. (Done)
2) I will add wheel pants. (Plugs & brackets made for the mains, but for nose gear yet)
3) Fill in Flap to Fuse gap mounted on turtle deck.
4) Fair in Forward gear mounts on fuse to include landing lights.
5) Fair in exposed pulleys on bottom of wings.
6) Build air foiled bungee covers. Inserts maybe?
7) Gap seal where practical.
8 ) Streamline nose gear strut ala RV's.
9- Vortex Generators?

barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Two more I forgot to mention. Flap retract springs (maybe the greatest Highlander invention ever) and fiberglass pulley covers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks Barry!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

GDS,
I mean't the gap between the turtle deck and the flaps. I just finished installing them using GKremers design he showed in a recent post.

The flap gap seals, a long strip of aluminum that narrows the gap between trailing edge of the wing and the flaps, helps slow speed handling. Search "Flap Gap Seal" and look for a post from 2011 for more detail.

Where I fly I get a lot of sand and dirt inside the plane. When I was covering, I laid down a finishing tape over the belly stringer, on the inside of the plane. It prevents sand from getting lodged between the stringer and the fabric.

Not really a Mod, but I'm very happy with my bare interior. At least twice a year I take out the front floor and flush the belly with a garden hose. (last time I found my long lost pocket knife) If there's spilled brake fluid, I scrub it out with detergent.

Danerazz flap return springs are on the way, got your message, thanks!
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Got it!

Thanks!

John

User GDS wrote:
GDS,
I mean't the gap between the turtle deck and the flaps. I just finished installing them using GKremers design he showed in a recent post.

The flap gap seals, a long strip of aluminum that narrows the gap between trailing edge of the wing and the flaps, helps slow speed handling. Search "Flap Gap Seal" and look for a post from 2011 for more detail.

Where I fly I get a lot of sand and dirt inside the plane. When I was covering, I laid down a finishing tape over the belly stringer, on the inside of the plane. It prevents sand from getting lodged between the stringer and the fabric.

Not really a Mod, but I'm very happy with my bare interior. At least twice a year I take out the front floor and flush the belly with a garden hose. (last time I found my long lost pocket knife) If there's spilled brake fluid, I scrub it out with detergent.

Danerazz flap return springs are on the way, got your message, thanks!

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

User GDS wrote:The flap gap seals, a long strip of aluminum that narrows the gap between trailing edge of the wing and the flaps, helps slow speed handling. Search "Flap Gap Seal" and look for a post from 2011 for more detail.
Here's the link to that 2011 thread: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... p+Gap+Seal
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

barry767 wrote:Gary, I was thinking of just wrapping the aluminum around the forward tube and securing the sides together by several screws along the trailing edge, aft of the aft tube. (a sideways U) Should be pretty simple to instal. Did you notice any airspeed benefit?
My neighbor covered his extreme gear with aluminum. Not sure exactly how he fastened it.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh

Return to “Just Aircraft”