Highlander? Anyone in north Texas?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
txaviator

Highlander? Anyone in north Texas?

Post by txaviator »

Greetings!

I am new to the forum, and I am probably going crazy. Why? I have a beautiful Cessna 172, and I am now thinking about building a Just Aircraft Highlander.
I built and sold a Van's RV-12, and I absolutely LOVED the building process. I don't have a tail-wheel rating yet, but have a few hours towards it.

Again, I have the building 'bug' and I love the performance of the Highlander. I am thinking I'd like to build one with the beefed up gear, and the 26" tundra tires. I've also never covered an aircraft, but I am going to attend an EAA workshop on the subject as soon as I can.

Question: Does anyone around the north Texas area have a Highlander that I can come check out? I'd love to see one and chat with an owner/builder before I send off my deposit check to Just Aircraft:)

Thanks in advance!
Gary Robertson
Arlington, TX (KGKY)
Flying a Cessna 172
Built / Sold a Van's RV-12
Thinking of Building a Highlander
User GDS
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander? Anyone in north Texas?

Post by User GDS »

I also built an RV12 before I built a Highlander. They took about the same amount of time, but are completely different projects. I was dreading fabric covering, but after starting the process I really enjoyed it. Sorry, can't help you in Texas, I'm in So Cal.

Confirming, you are looking at a Highlander not the Super Stol?
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
txaviator

Post by txaviator »

Yes sir, looking at the Highlander vs. the Super STOL. I'd like to do some aircraft camping, and off-airport landings. But around here (and the places I'd most likely go), the Super STOL may be overkill for me.

Where did you learn covering? I'd need to find a mentor and/or attend the EAA workshop that teaches it. I grew up around an airport environment. My grandfather owned the airport, and now I wish I would have watched him more closely when he covered aircraft. It almost seems like a lost art!

Since we have both gone the same path (RV-12 to building a Highlander), any further insight you can offer is appreciated! Thanks!
Gary Robertson
Arlington, TX (KGKY)
Flying a Cessna 172
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Sorry I can't help you with a visit, I'm in Michigan. I had zero experience with fabric covering before the Highlander build. My first plane was all composite (PulsarXP) and the second was an RV7A. I ordered the DVD set from Stewart Systems, they step you through the process. Just remember if you take a covering class some of the basics will be the same but each system has there own directions. I was a little apprehensive when starting the covering but most of it was enjoyable, just time consuming.

I know the Super Stol is all the rage but I really like the Highlander for the type of flying I do.
Good luck with the build

Gary
N325AB
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Everything you need to know about covering is in the Stewart System videos on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2qPoE ... E46A3F6FC2
Click on this link... sit back with a cold one and watch... it should cycle through all 11 videos.
Enjoy!
Dan
Highlander #241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I had mentors here at my airport. A guy across the hangar row was building a fabric covered plane and several guys with experience helped me. The covering systems have very good manuals and some have good videos, too.

The biggest difference you'll find is that for an aluminum plane like the RV, there are thousands of parts and you have to follow the instructions carefully. For the Highlander, the parts look like airplane parts. The instructions are much less detailed.

If I were building one I would still pick Highlander over the Super Stol, for the same reasons you mentioned. For my missions the H makes more sense and has all the STOL performance I need.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
txaviator

Post by txaviator »

Thanks for all of the replies, folks.

I am also still trying to wrap my mind around a Rotax in the Highlander. NOTHING at all wrong with that engine, and I know there are thousands of them flying. But being an active RV guy, I see all the service bulletins and stuff that seems to constantly come out for the Rotax 912 in the RV-12. It seems like they are always warning you to check something....And the Jabiru? I like them too. But Jabiru (Australia) is in a world of hurt right now with the governing aviation agency in Australia. Things could get bad for Jabiru if there isn't some resolve rather quickly. CASA (like our FAA) is coming down on them like a ton of bricks. It's all related to engine failures over the years. I'd hate to go the Jabiru route, just to see something bad happen to the parent company, then all of my support is virtually gone.

I know folks have used the UL engine, but as I am new to my research, I know nothing about that engine. I'd LOVE to see a version with a small Lycoming or a Continental 200 like they used in the Cessna 162 Skycatcher. GREAT little engine! Does anyone know of someone using a Lyc or Continental platform yet?

Thanks again everyone. I am still in the decision phase of this project, so I appreciate your input.
Gary Robertson
Arlington, TX (KGKY)
Flying a Cessna 172
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

There are a couple using O-200s, search the forums. It was my "backup" choice. Obviously the biggest issue is getting a mount built. I am unaware of any O-233 installations to date, and it is a bit heavier than an O-200. I am building with a Rotec R2800 radial. Right now I am working on the firewall/boot cowl shapes and it is progressing well with little difficulty. It is heavy but I believe worth it. I too just am unmoved by rotax. I am sure it is a fine engine but just doesn't interest me. There should be no significant reason you couldn't easily deal with the technical issues of installing any of these engines. I was worried about the weight and balance of the heavy radial, but as I progress it keeps looking like I will not be much heavier than the average HL and probably lighter than the average SS, and should be pretty good on the CG. I will be turning an 80-82" prop and expect similar takeoff performance to the Rotax installations. The bad news is I am probably a year and a half from flying as I am trying to pay cash for everything and am still almost $12000 from having all the parts, radios, paint, propellers, instruments, etc. you'll hear about it as it gets close.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

I could get you a ride in a highlander. I'm @ 0TX0 just between you and Hard 8 :D
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

MarkZ wrote:I could get you a ride in a highlander. I'm @ 0TX0 just between you and Hard 8 :D
MarkZ, I see you are at 0TX0. I took a LIght Sport Repairman training with Bill S., I believe he's based at 0TX0. I have a Kitfox SLSA, I am thinking of building a ELSA Highland Super STOL, so I can use the time towards getting my A&P. If it's clear tomorrow I may fly over to Granbury. I just finished my annual.
Paul Z
Garland, Tx
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
The Flying Hare

Post by The Flying Hare »

Hi All....
I am working on a Super STOL but I'm down by Houston, about 180 car miles south of the Big "D"
Contact me off line....

Chris-
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

Paul Z, you are welcome anytime! You can reach me fmarkzimmermann (at) gmail (dot) com.
Saini flyer
Forum Regular

Post by Saini flyer »

Hi Paul,
We have never met but I know about your SLSA. John Mcbean sat next to me on his flight back to Idaho after delivering your Kitfox. He mentioned that there is only one SLSA in Dallas area(atleast it was then). I think it was 2009 ...give or take a year (I am getting old) :)

Was that you?

I am glad you will be building a Highlander as I always wanted to look into the build process closely but no one is building one in Dallas area to my knowledge. I am in Allen-Richardson.
Paul Z wrote:
MarkZ wrote:I could get you a ride in a highlander. I'm @ 0TX0 just between you and Hard 8 :D
MarkZ, I see you are at 0TX0. I took a LIght Sport Repairman training with Bill S., I believe he's based at 0TX0. I have a Kitfox SLSA, I am thinking of building a ELSA Highland Super STOL, so I can use the time towards getting my A&P. If it's clear tomorrow I may fly over to Granbury. I just finished my annual.
Paul Z
Garland, Tx
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Yep that was me, it was 2010. I had flow up to Boise twice trying to fly it back myself. Both times the FOG in Boise was thick. I believe I am stol the only SLSA owner in N. Texas. It's a pretty nice plane.

I'm thinking of building a Super STOL, but am not sure yet. I plan on looking at them closer at Oshkosh, then it's convince the wife. Sometimes that is easier than other times. I'm retired from Raytheon, an live in Garland.

Paul Z
Saini flyer wrote:Hi Paul,
We have never met but I know about your SLSA. John Mcbean sat next to me on his flight back to Idaho after delivering your Kitfox. He mentioned that there is only one SLSA in Dallas area(atleast it was then). I think it was 2009 ...give or take a year (I am getting old) :)

Was that you?

I am glad you will be building a Highlander as I always wanted to look into the build process closely but no one is building one in Dallas area to my knowledge. I am in Allen-Richardson.
Paul Z wrote:
Paul Z
Garland, Tx
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

danerazz wrote:There are a couple using O-200s, search the forums. It was my "backup" choice. Obviously the biggest issue is getting a mount built. I am unaware of any O-233 installations to date, and it is a bit heavier than an O-200. I am building with a Rotec R2800 radial. Right now I am working on the firewall/boot cowl shapes and it is progressing well with little difficulty. It is heavy but I believe worth it. I too just am unmoved by rotax. I am sure it is a fine engine but just doesn't interest me. There should be no significant reason you couldn't easily deal with the technical issues of installing any of these engines. I was worried about the weight and balance of the heavy radial, but as I progress it keeps looking like I will not be much heavier than the average HL and probably lighter than the average SS, and should be pretty good on the CG. I will be turning an 80-82" prop and expect similar takeoff performance to the Rotax installations. The bad news is I am probably a year and a half from flying as I am trying to pay cash for everything and am still almost $12000 from having all the parts, radios, paint, propellers, instruments, etc. you'll hear about it as it gets close.
There is a R3200 for sale on the Kitfox Forum, and it's for a good price. Correction it is all of the Accessories for a R3200.

Paul Z
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”