I built an American Highlander!

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
957DK
Seasoned Member

I built an American Highlander!

Post by 957DK »

I Just finished weighing my Highlander. It came out to an empty weight of 745#. A bit heftier than I would've liked but then I am in the same boat myself :shock: .
I guess it makes sense, I've got the beefed up Alaskan mod fuselage, extreme gear, and a pretty full interior.
I can live with it and If I want to carry more, it'll be easier for me to shed some weight than the plane.

I just mailed off all of the required forms to our local FISDO and hope the A/W inspection will be completed in the next few weeks. After 2+ years building I'm as excited as a 6 year old on Xmas eve.

Thanks for all the info on the Sensenich props. I've got a 3 blade 72" on my plane and the information being shared will come in handy.

Safe flights to all.

Dan Kretchmer
N957DK
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: I built an American Highlander!

Post by danerazz »

Congrats!

Photos!

I thought mine would be 2 years, but two kids and a taxpayer funded trip to the middle-east for almost a year is putting me at 4+.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
RV6
Forum Regular

Post by RV6 »

Mine at 5 yrs,inspection by DAR done,first flight in about 10 days!

John McMahon
Gallatin,Tn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Congratulations, just in time for some flying weather, too.

I Just finished weighing my Highlander. It came out to an empty weight of 745#.
That's not bad. Mine was 715# for the inspection. Then I added 29" airstreaks, double brake calipers, Roberts Bush Gear, dual tail springs and a few pounds worth of patches, I just re-weighed it at the annual and now it's 763#

Any pictures?
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Congrats Dan and John!

Yes, pictures, pictures, and more pictures!!! We're all like kids about these planes, and what do kids like more than pictures when reading about something they like :wink:

I wouldn't frett over those empty weights. These airplanes will outperform pretty much anything out there, even if a bit heavy. Just enjoy your Highlanders. They are a marvelous aircraft!

Paul S.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dan,
Congrats on finishing up your Highlander, send us some updates when you get into Phase I

Fly safe,
Gary
smiley
Forum Regular

Post by smiley »

congratulations. Always nice to see another one flying.
I would agree we all could shed a few pounds, but the older I get the harder it is and the less I seem to care.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

I'll get some pics in the next few days/week.
Thanks for the kind words.

Dan
N957Dk
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Congratulations on sticking to it and be safe exploring. JOOC; Is there any other kind to build than an American Highlander?
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

As promised, a couple of pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

beautiful ship! I think that Sensinich prop is the best looking prop you can get. Have fun and fly safe.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

First flight is in the books! The Highlander flew better than I expected, hands off. Everything happened so fast it was a complete blur. I found myself at 2000' agl in no time. A couple of turns, a couple of stalls, and a little level flight then down to a 3 point landing. Had two small issues, the Pekola tail wheel shimmied a bit on landing and the pitch on the prop was a tad flat. I'll make small adjustments to both and fly it again tomorrow if the weather holds.

Billy Payne: If you read this, send my thanks to Vic and let him know it went well. I was well prepared for the first flight thanks to his skill as an instructor. I hope to see you in Brasstown this September for the fly-in.

Thanks everybody for the help I've received on this forum.

Dan Kretchmer
N957DK
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Dan,

Congratulations, your write up reminded me of my first flight 11 months ago now. I also trained with Vic and without him onboard for the maiden flight the aircraft surprised me and leaped into the air way before I expected it to fly..... great memories.

You have a beautiful aircraft, enjoy.

Jack
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dan,
Congrats on the first flight. I also have the Pekola tail wheel and found it needed to be just a bit tighter to eliminate the shimmy. Have fun during your Phase one.

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”