Landing the SuperStol "Normally"

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Madredr1

Landing the SuperStol "Normally"

Post by Madredr1 »

I have a stupid question, and maybe it's been brought up here but wanted to ask. Every video I see of the SuperStol is that crazy "Crash the plane to the ground" short landing. Which is cool and I understand the purpose of it, but I'm curious - what kind of landing distance can you expect doing a normal three point or wheel landing? Is it still nice and short, or does it become much lengthier because the slats do not deploy?

Please, forgive my ignorance, I'm just curious...
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Landing the SuperStol "Normally"

Post by Familyflyer »

The slats deploy around 50mph, higher when heavier and lower when lighter. You need to be slowed down that much to get the flaps out. Just to much load on the handle other wise. Once you get full flaps on you could bring the speed up and the slats will go back in. That means you are over 50 mph and going to use up a bunch of runway. As soon as you flared the slats will pop out again though. The plane fly's with a nose high angle anything below 60mph. I have never tried to wheel land as I would just be going to fast. 3 point "Normal" is very easy though. Normal approach would be 40-45mph approach and flaring at the ground and you will three point. Slow it down to 30 in ground effect and the tail will touch before the mains, pull the nose up more with more power and the plunk landings start. I will go try some wheel landing and see how fast I need to be for them to work.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Madredr1

Re: Landing the SuperStol "Normally"

Post by Madredr1 »

Thanks for the info, I was just curious!

Return to “Just Aircraft”