Award-Winning Escapade

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Award-Winning Escapade

Post by SheepdogRD »

In case anyone missed it, here's a link to the EAA Experimenter article on Dennis and Barb Crowley's Escapade. It won Reserve Grand Champion at Oshkosh last year. It's a masterpiece of teamwork and attention to detail.

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/513537-may-2015/15?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Re: Award-Winning Escapade

Post by SuperFly »

Agreed Dick, and thanks for the link. I had gotten the EAA notice it was available, but hadn't read it yet.

I got a bit to talk with Dennis and Barb at OSH '14, and Dennis showed me around his airplane. The little detail items make this a fantastic airplane. And what a joy of people to talk with.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

They've got a 1953 Porsche that was restored with the same attention to detail, the plane was painted to match the car. The plane and car were on the cover of the Program guide at the Copperstate FlyIn last year. They're good people!
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

One of the nicest plane I saw at Airventure last year...
Av8r3400
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

Ah, you guys! To quote a line from the movie "Little Big Man", You make my heart soar like a hawk! As you all may or may not know, this Forum was my lifeblood. Though I have only met a few people personally, I felt a bond from my first lurkings.
Since this was our first and only attempt at building an airplane, the help and support received by people here was an inspiration to do the best we could. Wish it didn't take over 2200 hours, however! Nonetheless, when we did finally take her out to meet the public at Copperstate in '13, people have just been so wonderful to us as is evidenced by all of your comments here. Thanks guys. I'd love to meet up again somewhere. As flying to and from Oshkosh nearly killed me, I doubt I'll fly her there again anytime soon. When I landed back home, 47 turbulent hours alone in the seat was more than I had imagined. So, to Billy's for the Gathering and Sun 'n Fun are probably out. Sure makes me appreciate Steve Henry's jaunts around the country. Actually, down here in Southern Arizona is pretty lonely. Not many events close by. Copperstate is close but not much in between here and "way out there....". I DO have plans to fly to Big Bear. Calif. one of these days. You hear that, Gary!? BTW, are you coming out to Copperstate again this year? Would love to be able to get you down here to Tucson and see just how many margaritas you can handle.

I didn't know if very many people were going to see the article as it is the Experimenter digital version as opposed to the "real" Sport Aviation magazine. Ironically, this is the last digital Experimenter. Apparently, they will be adding several pages to Sport Aviation's July edition. But, hey; no complaints. How many get to have their plane is any mag?

Anyway, sincere thanks go out to you all, and I do hope there'll be a place where we can meet to tell war stories....

Dennis
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Dennis, you and Barb should come up to Big Bear, we're having the Big Bear Air Fare on August 15th, we can show our planes next to each other and call it the Beauty and the Beast. The Pilot's Association has a good party afterwards and you can stay at our house. Maybe we can talk Trilander Ted into making the trip again, too.

GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

Gary,

As I remember, it was Sept. when we came up and met the first time. Of course, being from SoCal I always loved the beauty of Big Bear. That would be a cool event to attend too. Not cool getting there, however. Have to fly at 8500, but oh those landings. 115 degrees?

I love parking next to you Highlander guys. Remember Copperstate in '13? I was next to Steve Henry? People couldn't believe they were so close to being the same plane. Well, not Steve's Super STOL, but yours with the tail dragger configuration and those "off-road" tires. I'd love to see mine as a taildragger sometime, but alas, I think tricycle is more my speed.

Haven't been flying much. Winds are pretty rough about this time of year. But the other thing is, I'm recovering from my own wing replacement. Yup, total shoulder. Me and an SR-71 share titanium. I could fly, but pushing her back into the hangar is still a bit much. Not really very much pain, but, whew, the rehab. The muscles were just sooooo tight from years of protecting it. So, twice a week i go and they push until it almost breaks, then push a little more. Range is getting better, but just want to be normal again. A month or two should do it.

We'll see about August. Would love to do that. I'll have to brush up on Density Altitude flying.

Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”