Scotties Alaska Flight

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Scotties Alaska Flight

Post by R Rinker »

Hey Scott, I'm putting a post on the forum to make it easier for you to communicate with me if you happen to stop at a motel or whatever. We didn't talk about the customs procedures so I assume you got all that covered. There are designated 'Airports of Entry' that you have to pick one to land at when you enter Canada and quite a process of pre-registering your airplane, customs decal, etc. before you can get back into the States, etc. I'd like to have a heads up when you might get here so I'll give you my contact info. Landline phone is 403-989-3715, cell phone is 403-846-5648, email is "rinker@arcticoutreach.org". (be sure and get all those letter c's in arctic, most people misspell that. The local airport here is "Rocky Mountain House" in Alberta and the identifier is CYRM. Tomorrow, the 27th I'll be in Red Deer for a little while, so if you get here then please use my cell number. The wx is good up north right now, so I trust it holds out for you. The link to get you into the Nav Canada flight planning for weather and all is... https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/
Sorry to the users to be using the forum for communications, but we have a communications problem where a U.S. cell phone won't work in Canada. I'm sure the forum can learn something by following along with what Scott learns about the procedures and experiences involved in an International trip like this...Rodger
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Scotties Alaska Flight

Post by SheepdogRD »

For those who have no idea what's going on here, Scot Blankenship -- factory builder -- and his Highlander are accompanying Gary Jamieson and his SuperSTOL to Gary's home in Alaska. Scot plans to see some of Alaska for a week or so, and then head back to South Carolina. It's over 4,000 miles each way, so we can expect he'll be tired when he gets back. He probably won't even want to fly for a whole day or two afterward...

Picture of Gary's SuperSTOL -- which won Grand Champion Light Sport Aircraft at Sun 'n' Fun this year -- are in this thread: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=23601.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

No wonder Scott didn't call me
back, yet...

What a trip!

Be safe guys!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

They were weathered in, in Illinois,
but back in the saddle this am.

John

SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Hi gang,

Scott, Gary, and Tyler dropped into Pontiac today enroute to Alaska. A good friend of mine runs the FBO at the Pontiac Airport (Pontiac, Illinois. KPNT) He gave me a call when they landed, thought I might know these guys. I happened to be working very close by at the time so I ran out to the airport to say hello. I had met Gary at the factory when he was just getting started on his airplane, so it was good to get to meet him again and get to know him a bit. Super guy, hope to take him up on his offer of a guided tour of Alaska via SuperSTOLs one day! And I've known Scott for a few years, so it was great to see him as well. I met his son Tyler (who was glady along for the trip to Alaska). Man, if my airplane was finished, it'd be darn tough not to join the group and fly along. What a trip of a lifetime! Scott said as they were approaching the airport, he had remembered that I was around this area somewhere. Scott was with the group that dropped into my place last summer on the way home from Oshkosh. They had not planned to stop here, but were fighting pretty stiff headwinds this morning. They spent a few days in Greencastle, Indiana waiting out some weather, but were back on their way now.
So far, they report, all is well, and everyone is enjoying it. We went and grabbed some breakfast, and got a bit to talk. Scott was disappointed that Sweet Tea is not readily available up here, and Tyler and I pointed out, that is only going to get worse as the trip progresses. ;)

They took some fuel, and we snapped a couple pictures, then saw them off. Good times, good people...

Blue skies and tailwinds guys!

Wayward Travellers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

We were flying through Minnesota and wondering where we might spend the night when we suddenly remembered our friend and Highlander owner Marlowe Thooft. Not only did he hook us up with accommodations but he and his friend Justin took us for a tour of a WW2 museum and warbird restoration facility. What an awesome trip this is!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Come on Scott.

Pics or it didn't happen!

John

ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my pictures from my photo gallery to this forum. We're in the Dakotas today waiting out some rain. Should be back in the air in a couple of hours.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Wish you guys had a Spot tracker. Anybody can follow along in real time. This is my Spot share page... http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... 55umqVyI3m
I'm not going anywhere today so it just shows me at our house. If the map comes up without any data just zoom out with the slider a little. We are in a low resolution area so if it's zoomed in too far it goes blank. The google map doesn't show our airstrip or hanger because we just got it in and the map data is a couple years old. In the top corner is a box that says Map / Satellite. Click on Satellite for an actual photo display. Can't wait till the map gets updated with our airstrip on it.
When I'm up in the high Arctic, days from any communication with the world, they can follow exactly where I'm at on the trail, where I camp, ...everything in real time...
That pointer (#1) is exactly on the fence post I have the Spot setting on right now. I'll walk the airstrip and get a few markers on it.
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Scott, Gary, --Glad to see you guys blazing the trail for us ;-)
CarolAnn (in her Rans) and I (in the Highlander) will be leaving Florida around June 13 for Fairbanks.

Rodger, thanks for all the tips and guidance. I hope to be checking into a 20M net along the way. Also report APRS positions under N93WS callsign.

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, so we have a travelblog set up that I will post a link to.
Have fun guys, maybe see you in July.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Scott sent me some of his photo's
at the museum so I could post
them. Sorry for the delay.

The thumb is a nice touch! Building new wings for P-40's.

kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

They have made it to Ft. St. John, BC. Soon it will be the Yukon and then Alaska.
Super Stol Kit #299
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

Your route of flight would be helpful because I will be making that flight next summer. I was considering cutbank mt. Lethbridge, Rocky Mountain House, Grand Prairie . Ft.Saint John any suggestions would be welcome
Thanks Wayne
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Finally getting time to post some pics.
This is Scott, Gary, and Tyler parked in front of our house. These guys are all just like family...
This is taken off our front porch...
And this is just the airplanes again.
We do have an invitation out for any of you travelers to stop over here. The plan is to for you to land at CYRM, which is Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada. Then we can decide if you want to use our strip depending on local conditions and also it is still under construction. Wes, keep me posted so I'll have a heads up on when you'll get here.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Thanks for the update.

I have been wondering where
these guys were.

John'

Return to “Just Aircraft”