Wing Tips

wino59
Forum Regular

Wing Tips

Post by wino59 »

Started making the wing attach fittings, but I was having such a hard time bending the .071 steel, that I have moved on to the wing tips. I am going to take the wing attach fittings to a local shop and have them bend them for me.

In the process of trying to make the wind attach fittings, I was able to modify the brake to nicely bend the .063 and .032 metal for the wing tips as you will see here. I made one bend, put it on the spar, drew a line, and made the other bend. It came out nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wino59
Forum Regular

Re: Wing Tips

Post by wino59 »

Got the steel caps welded on to the spar caps... I know a lot of caps, but you get the idea. Also started the wing tips, and currently working on fabricating the 1 1/4 inch tube that holds the tip in place.

Just a side note here on the tips themselves. If you look at Earls the tip has a different shape, not a simple curve as mine or Mike's does...not sure if there is a reason behind it other than he was trying to keep the same shape as the rib profile. What convinced me to make mine this way, was this picture of the Blue and White butter cup...which is apparently flying with no problems.... Look at Earls wing tip and the other Buttercup wing tip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

One of the challenges for me was tacking the 1 1/4 inch tubes to the spar caps.... The problem is... I can't tack weld the spar caps while they are in place with the gas torch..probably okay with a mig, but I don't have one.

I put a level 10 inch back from front spar and put the end of the level 31 inches out from the last rib. This gave me the point the tube needed to get to in space. Once I had the right angle at the front spar cap, and 3/8 " down from the level I put marks on the tube and spar cap and traced it with a silver sharpie. Then I took it over to the bench and with a couple of magnets, help from a vice and block of wood...a very temporary jig was made....I put two tacks in place, I checked it...it was slightly off (not the angle, but it needed to come up slightly)...Heated the two tacks, bumped the spar cap on the bench twice, and it was right on, so I took it back to the bench and put two more tacks in place and then checked it again...still good. Now on to the other tube connecting to the rear spar cap...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

If your going to Buy a MIG later for your Fuselage... You'd get extra advantage by having it already...
The Work is looking good !

Later a screw in the Cap.... holds it in place on the spar...
Gotta Fly...
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Continued to work on the wing tips... What has slowed me down the most is I keep taking measurements to make sure I am right on...I will tack in spot, measure, tack in another spot, measure, etc...It is coming out good so far...

Right now I am working on the leading edge of the wing tip (1/2 inch tube that extends from the rib to the tip) There is no dimension on where to make the bend...so I guess I will use the TLAR process again...(That Looks About Right).
berniematic

Post by berniematic »

Whats the point of those wingtips? I'm working on a friends plane. He built the wings long ago and just made normal square tips. Still isn't together so, I can't say how they'll work.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

Less Drag...

Steve Wittman tested them by flying after changing only ONE side...

Noticed it had less drag for the same lift.
Gotta Fly...
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

The trailing edge of the wing tip is 1 1/8" SS 301 half hard. This is simply bent in half with the edges tapped over with a rubber mallet....That is easy to say, not as easy to do. Where the trailing edge connects to aileron spar, I simply made a triangle with tabs at the pointed end, and then bent the tabs over so that it goes around the aileron spar. Very similar to the spar caps, then I brazed the trailing edge to it. Shaped the piper channel with fluting pliers, and brazed to the tip. The most time comsuming part was the Trailing edge, and fitting it to the aileron spar.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

RIght wing tip almost done....I just have to braze in two more uprights and the right wing tip is done. I also have to trim out the tab for the leading edge of the tip where it connects to the wood.
wino59
Forum Regular

Post by wino59 »

Finished up the wing tip for the left wing....

Return to “Chadd's Buttercup Project”