flap return springs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Re: flap return springs

Post by ScottieB »

Just to update everyone.... Dane sent me some new springs with a tighter preload AND another set made of the next stronger size spring wire to try on my brother's Highlander which has no factory flap return springs installed - it uses Dane's springs exclusively.
The extra preload springs were still not quite enough but the ones made with the next size wire worked very well. The flaps now stay where they are supposed to at rest. I have not yet been in a situation where I'm tied down with a tail wind, so I can't give a definitive answer as to whether they will be strong enough to hold the flaps up in a tail wind.... but so far so good!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Scott,

Thanks for the update. I guess future sets will be the larger wire. If anyone has a problem with the sets I sent originally, I will send replacements of the larger wire springs as requested. I need to order more of the larger wire, as I only had enough to experiment with and the set I sent Scott was pretty much the last of it. Please try the smaller springs first and make sure they won't work for your needs before requesting larger springs.

The stronger springs use all of the hardware from the smaller ones. The reason I went with the smaller wire is the thicker ones are quite a bit stronger and I didn't want there to be any issues of "fighting" the springs on flap deployment.

Tailwinds WILL eventually blow the flaps down as with the stock springs, there are limits. The torsion springs are meant to prevent the sag and installation issues of the stock springs.

P.S. Scott:
If you could please PM me a detailed impression of the larger springs I would greatly appreciate it, you have the ONLY set of those!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Dane This is Jak at the factory I need a set off the larger wire springs to put on a plane here the owner forgot to put the original spring brackets on the flaps and we don't want to cut them open now to do so. He will pay you the asking price I just don't remember what to tell him. We need these asap please. Call me if any questions. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Jak,

Check your PMs

Thanks
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

For those requesting flap spring kits, I have materials to put several sets together (finally). Unfortunately my work shedule has me away quite a bit at the end of June/beginning of July, so I probably will not make the springs until about the 10th of July. I have been dealing with a huge issue with our house and some other unexpected things, but will let you know when the springs are made and orders officially are being taken.

These will all be the "improved" heavy-duty springs.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

No worries Dane. Thanks for the update.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

For everybody wanting a set of springs, or those who bought a set and want larger ones, please pm me your address and if you have paid me I am going to try to mail them out Monday. If they are replacements for the smaller springs there is no charge, and you will re-use all of the other hardware.

If you need to pay, it is $30 and I will pm you payment info when you send your address.

Thanks
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

If you have contacted me about the "HD" spring replacements, they have been mailed out and you should get them shortly. If you contacted me about a new purchase, they are ready and I have pm'd you with payment details.

Thanks,
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
JHR
Forum Regular

Post by JHR »

Dane sent me free of charge the HD replacement springs for my Highlander. My Highlander is now flying and the springs are working well.

John Ross (Highlander #312)
Wanaka
New Zealand
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Ditto here. I installed mine during my recent fuel tank upgrade and they have held my flaps up perfectly in all winds since.

Great product! Thank you Dane.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I have materials to make a few sets of springs, if anybody wants some and I have not pm'd or emailed you already, please let me know.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Just to be clear, I also have a couple sets of springs for new installations available, I believe most of the original, low force, springs have been replaced.

Pm me for payment details, they are $35 per set ($38 if PayPal) and they include all hardware for installation and shipping within the continental US. If you are international (including Canada) I will have to check on shipping rates.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Except for an email request who has not returned my notice, there are two sets of springs remaining available as either replacements or new purchase kits at this time. I didn't realize there was a demand for them right now.

If I get enough demand I will put together another batch In a couple weeks (if only spring kits paid my bills!).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

If you have recently placed an order for new or replacement springs, and I have received payment, they were mailed today. Sorry for the delay, things have been hectic. All sets for this run are spoken for, I am awaiting payment for a couple of sets and there are still two replacement sets that need to go out, I just need a couple hours to wind a few more springs, likely Tuesday.

Thanks for your patience everyone, and if anyone who HAS NOT CONTACTED ME wants any, please let me know and when I get a few orders I will get supplies and put them together.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Just wanted to give some positive feedback on Dane's flap return springs. Took about 10 minutes to install, very straightforward. I havent flown the plane yet but in ground testing they work very well. My flaps now reside in the resting position where they should, aligned with the fairings on the turtle deck. You do feel a bit more tension when pulling the flap handle but actually, I welcome that. Gives it a more positive feel in the detents. Great job Dane! Thanks for a great and innovative product to improve our airplanes!

Return to “Just Aircraft”