New Bush Tire from Desser

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

New Bush Tire from Desser

Post by bluemax »

To whom it may concern,

Desser Tire is now offering a 27" smooth bush tire for use with 8" wheels. Specifically, it is:
27/10-8 4 PLY AERO CLASSIC SMOOTH TUNDRA TIRE. They are $395.00 each, and can be used with or without a tube. Has anyone used these yet? Might prove an acceptable alternative to $ 2900 pair of Airstreaks.

I believe they also offer a 31" tire, but no 29".
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: New Bush Tire from Desser

Post by SheepdogRD »

I don't see them on the Matco website (http://www.matcomfg.com) yet, but was told they'll be selling them. Matco sells 8" wheels for them.

Moving to the large tires means a longer braking moment arm, so adding additional calipers may be worth considering, too. Just calls that the "E-Series Conversion Kit". It's Matco part # CNVBE5-D.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I took delivery of a set from Matco last week, but have been away for a few days. I should have them installed by tomorrow and be test flying them by Friday.
I hope to post a few pictures before the weekend!

Here is the link... http://www.desser.com/aircraft-tires-an ... 2710-8.asp

Dan
Highlander 241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
rkaufman

Post by rkaufman »

I've had mine on a couple months now with about 20 hours / 30 landings on them.

They replaced the 26" Airstreaks that I wore out. The rubber compound seems to be harder, so hopefully they will last longer on pavement.

I mounted them tubeless and haven't had any problems with them leaking down, though I was skeptical that just an o-ring laying in the groove between the wheel halves would seal them adequately.

Here's a picture...

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Robert, what pressure are you running the Dressers at? Can you run them low and soft like the Airstreaks? How long did your 26ers last?
Super Stol Kit #299
rkaufman

Post by rkaufman »

I'm currently running them at 18 psi. I initially had them at 12 psi when put them on.

At 12 psi they just seemed too low, so I upped them to 18 psi.

I personally don't think I would run them as low as the Airstreaks. I wonder if they might slip on the rim. They seem stiffer and thicker on the sidewalls and tread portion of the tire. Of course I'm comparing a worn out set of Airstreaks with cords showing to a new set of the Desser tires.

The 26" Airstreaks lasted about 375 hours.

Robert
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Robert,
Thanks for posting the pictures of the 27" tires... they look good! For those of us with 8" Matco wheel rims, this seems like the obvious choice for bigger tires.
I know they are a little narrower than the Airstreaks, so do you notice any difference in performance with them? Is there a difference in top speed compared to the Airstreaks?

By the way... interesting paint scheme on your Highlander. I suspect there is a story in there somewhere.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
rkaufman

Post by rkaufman »

I don't really see a difference in speed between the old and new tires. They don't seem to bounce as much on landings as the Airstreaks (maybe my landings have improved :lol: ).

Robert
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

They look great, and are more sanely priced. Another good option.

Personally, I think Air Streaks are overated and overkill if you are not landing on mountain sides, especially 29 inches on a 700-800lb Airplane. Sacrilege perhaps to most Highlander Owners.

I am looking forward to compare the difference of smaller tires on my Highlander.

Throughout Aviation history, plenty of airplanes have landed in crappy places without Air Streaks!
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Robert,
That is a beautiful paint job! You even painted your wheels, and I see the theme is carried to your seat backs, too. I'll bet it draws a lot of attention.

What paint did you use?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
rkaufman

Post by rkaufman »

I can't take credit for the paint or buiId.

It was built and painted by Billy Payne. I bought it from a friend of his when he wanted to sell.

I was researching the aircraft last year looking to build one and heard about this one for sale. I bypassed the building process and went straight to flying!

The plane is covered and painted with the Superflight process.

Robert

I did paint the wheels though :)
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hello All,

I finally got my 27" Aero Classic Bush Tires from Desser Tire Co. installed today. I set the pressure at just 6 psi since I'm currently operating from a small grass strip. I didn't get a lot of flying in today, but when I did fly, I think they have slowed my plane up a couple of mph at WOT. On the positive side, they sure seem to provide a lot softer landings than even the 21" Tundra Tires from Matco. I hope to get a bit of flying in tomorrow and will post a few details once I get a chance. The yellow streamers are Fire Line Control tape that I use in place of red "Remove Before Flight" markers, which don't really show up well against a red plane.

For now, here are a couple of photos of the "Fire Plane" with 27" tires on Extreme gear.

Dan
DSCF4126a.jpg
DSCF4125a.jpg
DSCF4131a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Looks great!

Return to “Just Aircraft”