Cabin heat

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Cabin heat

Post by KevinC »

As a builder way up north I am wondering what everyone is planning for cabin heat.

Kevin
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

While at S&F I was able to observe two Highlanders built by Cornell Aircraft in Wisconsin. They used ducts off the exhaust and a small, very compact, fan designed for ductwork applications. I'm sure they would be happy to tell you all about it as well as supplying pictures. They offered to send me detailed pictures of any installation I needed.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I have installed a cabin heat system on the Highlander.  I purchased a heat shuttle box from Vans Aircraft.  In a kit form the box is $35.  I also purchased a 3' length of scat hose to go with it.  I contacted Downwind Technologies, the maker of the Toucan Exhaust.  For just over $50 including shipping I got a heat muff for one muffler.  I installed the heat shuttle on the firewall, on the left side, ended up straight ahead of the pilots left toe.  At least one foot should stay warm.  I will test to see if there is enough airflow with the current setup.  I may have to put a small fan on the inside of the firewall to pull more heated air through the muff.  If so, I have a plan.  I put the cowling on before I thought to take a picture.  I will have the cowlings off again in the near future, if anyone wants pictures, let me know.  The weight of the muff, scat tube, shuttle box, and cable is not quite a pound.   If needed, I could add a muff to the right side muffler also.  

If this works, it is less complicated than tapping into the hot water with another heater core and fan.  We will see.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Cabin heat

Post by KevinC »

Dave,

Thanks for the update - I'll know I will want good heat.  It's been around 20 here for 3 weeks!  Count me in for pix when you get them.

thanks

Kevin
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Here are photos of the cabin heat, such as they are.  The system is now ground tested, I think it will be fine.  Now to flight test.  I would have positioned the shuttle box in a better place on the firewall, but would have had to done it prior to wiring and other install issues.  I may need a deflector to keep from baking my left foot.

Simple is better.

DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I have a better photo of the cabin heat arrangement.  I think it works, my test pilot did not get cold on the first flight.  His left foot was warm.

DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,
As you can see this is what I did for cabin heat.  I ordered the muff from Downwind Technology.  They are the maker of the Toucan exhaust.  Mike Poohle (sp?) is the guy.  The price seemed reasonable.  I would put one on each side and have dual heat.

I ordered the heat shuttle door from Vans RV. The heat door is a kit and is less than $40.  The instructions make sense and are correct.  That will be something new for a Just aircraft kitbuilder.

Simple, light, no draw on the system.  No hot water to spray on your legs.  Must use a CO detector of some type though.

The photos show the setup on the left side.

Dave

Return to “Just Aircraft”