AEROTREK A240 / A220

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

AEROTREK A240 / A220

Post by bluemax »

Well. . . I guess I'm disappointed. This morning I had the opportunity to sit in a Aerotrek A240. You can Google it, but it is essentially the American-sold version of the EuroFox. There is also an Aerotrek A220, which is the taildragger version (A240 is a tricycle). This is yet another decendent of the Avid Flyer, but this one is ready to fly (SLSA), lower cost ($69K to $78K all decked out). I figure I would have at least $60K if I build a Highlander, and it would be worth an additional $18K to me NOT to have to build. I also hear that the fit and finish on this Czech Republic-built aircraft is superb.

Anyway, I watched the owner land at my airport and taxi up to me. My mouth about dropped open as to how gorgeous this plane was! I don't know what they are using for paint. . . but it was glossy, thick, and flawless. I read in an article that it was Polyfiber, but there's no way. . . too shiny. This plane had every appearance of the most professional construction techniques. I could not find a flaw. But alas, I knew it was too good to be true, as things usually are with me. As soon as I began climbing inside, my fears were realized. There is NOT enough leg room, period. I'm 6'2", but the distance to the rudder pedals is so short that there is a good bend in my knees. . . and my knees are about hitting the bottom of the instument panel. The bend in my knees makes the joystick disappear, which then creates interference trying to achieve full throw in all directions. Contrast this with Phil Gasboro's Highlander that I got to sit in the other day, where my legs were almost straight out, and I easily had full stick travel.

All of the Avid Flyer decendants may be similar in many ways, but the Highlander definitely has them all beat for big-boy comfort. Sitting in an airplane is the one time in my life when I would prefer to have been a "regular" sized guy, let alone "small". You little guys don't know how good you've got it. . . at least when it comes to your aircraft choices. All of my research keeps pointing me back to the Highlander. . . I just wish I could find one where I didn't have to take the time to build it. I want to FLY. . . not build.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Re: AEROTREK A240 / A220

Post by Johnny C! »

Max,
I haven't been to the factory in a little
over a month to work on Lima Charlie,
but I know Troy's dad, Dennis, has his
trike Highlander for sale, or at least he
did. It's about 80 -90% finished, as far
as I know.
Call the factory to check the status.

Later!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hey John-

I have a buddy that was talking with the folks down there, and they told him that Highlander was for sale. I think it had a 912 on it, but it was taken off, and now it has a Jabiru? I think that is accurate. I will be calling the factory shortly, to discuss my purchase. I just wanted to have all of my ducks in a row, so I wasn't wasting their time. I wonder what the lead time is on a Highlander kit?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

It's about 6 weeks lead time on a couple new kits I sold very recently.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

taildrgfun wrote:It's about 6 weeks lead time on a couple new kits I sold very recently.
That's not too bad at all. In fact, my new pole building isn't quite finished yet, so I'm not ready for it anyway. When the crew gets done, I will still have to wire it and insulate it, so I can work through the winter. Time to call the boys in Walhalla. . .
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Max,
It does have a Jabiru mounted now.
It's a really nice plane.

Good Luck!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Craigv

Post by Craigv »

RE: Aerotrek seats.
The above post in 2011 about the Aerotrek seats not working for someone 6' 2" almost caused me to pass on buying an Aerotrek 240 (tricycle gear), as I am 6' 3" and 215 pounds. I mentioned this post to the dealer, he snorted in frustration, and then showed me the clever and comfortable system of seat cushions they employ. There are two different thickness seat and back cushions that are used to move you forward or back. It's a very comfortable, economical and lightweight way to solve this problem.

I ended up buying this airplane in March of this year and have 160 hours on it already including flying 1900 SM from Indiana to Oakland, CA in the middle of a winter cold snap and just did a round trip to Oshkosh - about 4000 miles. I'm planning a fall trip to the Caribbean, over 6000 miles.

I'm told there is a 6' 4" CFI in Florida with over 2000 hours on his Aerotrek. These are an economical, robust, well made aircraft.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Max, at one time I was thinking of selling mine. I do love to build and it has been awhile. May still consider. :mrgreen:
PM me if interested.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

Max,

I currently have my Highlander for sale. It is a tricycle with about 85 hrs TT. You can check it out on Barnstormers, just search for Highlander. It is a great plane that performs well and has a nice panel. The only reason I want to sell it is because I have a family of four now (it was just me and the wife when I bought the kit) and I really would like to have 4 seats.

You can check out my kit log on www.mykitlog.com

Thanks,

Brian
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Max,

I haven't got off my duff yet to list my 912uls two time grand champion Highlander for sale yet, but I will be soon (I'm building another one). Based on your description, this would be a really nice one for you.

For details, check out my previous November post on it here;

http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=23536

It's a really great, proven performer as it is real light at only 680 lbs. Cruises at 108 mph at 5450 rpm (will do even better now with the new covered Extreme gear I just put on it). And will climb solo at 1800 fpm. Plus it is really good looking to boot (Grand Champion'ish attractive).. And at $72,500 that is a lot less money than you could build it for. Only reason I'm letting it go for that is that I'd rather apply the time and money toward my new Highlander, so it will be a really sweet deal for someone that wants to take a few hours to take care of some very minor things on it, and give it a new condition inspection.

Paul Seehafer 715-581-4381
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Max and friends,

Geez.... How bad is that? I'm replying to a November 2011 post! .Heck, you've probably got your new Highlander nearly done by now :lol:

But hey, if anyone else has any interest in my Highlander let me know. It's going on Barnstormers next week.

Paul
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Craigv wrote:RE: Aerotrek seats.
The above post in 2011 about the Aerotrek seats not working for someone 6' 2" almost caused me to pass on buying an Aerotrek 240 (tricycle gear), as I am 6' 3" and 215 pounds. I mentioned this post to the dealer, he snorted in frustration, and then showed me the clever and comfortable system of seat cushions they employ. There are two different thickness seat and back cushions that are used to move you forward or back. It's a very comfortable, economical and lightweight way to solve this problem.
Hey Craigv,

I wrote that post back in 2011. At the time, I was 6' 2", but also about 280 pounds. I can tell you that I did NOT fit....period. Hell, we took the seat cushion clear out, as I recall. Still no go. Not only were my legs too long, but my head was up in the cabin overhead tubing. A bumpy ride would surely have left me with a bruised noggin. But since I was in a EuroFox, and not an actual Aerotrek, maybe they have changed something? All I can tell you is that I was ready that day to send Rob Rollison a check for an Aerotrek, and there was no one more disappointed than me. If I ever get a chance to sit in an actual Aerotrek, I'll give it a try.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio

Return to “Just Aircraft”